wallichii hardier than vietnam?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #1
e.lark
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

wallichii hardier than vietnam?

Im having trouble with Rotala Vietnam and Im thinking of ditching it to give wallichii a try. I like the red in wallichii better anyways but Im willing to give vietnam some more time if someone can tell me what the secret is to caring for it. The problem is I get bushy tops but the pedals towards the lower portion of the stems are all decayed away. The rest of my plants are all looking great. Would Rotala wallichii fare any better? I was thinking since the pedals of vietnam are needle thin could the snails just be eating them away or am I looking at a nutrient issue? Should I put a Fert tab under the roots maybe?

ph 6.8 kh 7-8 temp 77
no3 10-20 po4 2
dose EI with dry ferts
58gallon tank, 175w MH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Wallichi's leaves are needle thin also and are hard to keep clean. Also if you have SAE's, I've heard they love this plant(and so did my angels). Very beautiful if kept well. In my tank they were a nice dark red rather than pink.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
shalu
Wannabe Guru

They are similar, both have needle leaves. R. vietnam is a little bigger with somewhat different coloration. I actually found r. vietnam easier than wallichii.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
e.lark
Planted Member

hmm...I guess I'll stick with it and figure out what it needs before moving on to something potentially as hard to care for.

shalu, Im looking into getting three discus in a couple months and Im doing my research now. I was looking at your tank and noticed you have a few of the same plants I keep. R. vietnam, E. stellata, didiplis d., and I believe you used to have a carpet of glosso at one time. I assume your keeping temps above 80 and the plants are doing fine for you? Any you found that just cant take the high temps?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
shalu
Wannabe Guru

I am getting rid of glosso, I just can't find a maintanance routine to keep glosso looking attractive long term. It keeps piling up. I am only going to keep glosso in the non-CO2 shrimp tank, where it grows slowly. I am replacing glosso with marselia, much happier with its behavior. Temperature is not an issue for those plants, I keep it at 83F, and I have tried 80-90 plant species now, only a couple maybe does not like high temp.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
aquatrippe
Algae Grower

Default Algae+R.Wallichi

Hi,

I know that the needle thin leaves of R.Wallichi are highly vulnerable to algae. Mine is growing well and the tips are a nice red but the body of the plant is covered with green algae. Anyone have any tips for helping the plant outlive the algae? thanks
aquatrippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatrippe
Hi,

I know that the needle thin leaves of R.Wallichi are highly vulnerable to algae. Mine is growing well and the tips are a nice red but the body of the plant is covered with green algae. Anyone have any tips for helping the plant outlive the algae? thanks
You need more CO2
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
e.lark
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatrippe
Hi,

As you can see Im not the best to be giving advice but what are your tank stats? N03?, PO4?, are you dosing co2? How much light/size of tank? some more info and someone might be able to help alittle better. All I know is the two mentioned plants seem hard to keep. I dont have any noticable algae on the plants but I would assume that would mean some nutrient is out of balance.