Melting after dry start
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
gotplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Melting after dry start

For some reason, only the middle area of my tank is melting after the dry start. It was only a 2x2 patch that melted for a week and by today it's quite a large area. How long will it takes for all the dead leaves of the HC to get replaced by new ones? Will trimming help? I trimmed down the HC a couple days after flooding it and I just did today which is about 2 weeks later.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
mad_sci
Algae Grower

That's what happens when plants switch from emersed to submersed form, the emersed leaves which aren't suited for underwater life will die away and new submersed leaves will replace it.

You haven't mentioned any of your tank specifications so it's kind of hard to tell how long it'll take for the HC to grow back.

Determining how long your HC will grow back will be determined by how much light you have, whether or not you're supplying CO2, fertilization and substrate.
mad_sci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
gotplants
Algae Grower

Do all of the plants melt or only some? The tank's 24x12x14.4 with 2x24 watt T5HO 12 hours a day. I have a DIY CO2 which I believe gives me enough CO2 because my drop checker is green unless I do a water change. I dose about 5 ml API leaf zone everyday. I'm getting more ferts soon.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
spyderuk
Algae Grower

You can cut back on the photoperiod for a start, that will help. Can you disable 1 of the T5's?

HC loves Co2 so get that nailed before you drive it hard with 12 hours of light. You will have to keep on top of DIY co2 with HC especially with the amount of light you are using.
spyderuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.