Emersed HC is turning brown!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Emersed HC is turning brown!

Like the title says my emersed hc is turning brown in spots. I dont know if this is a root fungus or what because some of the plants are brown at the base and sproting green leaves which turn yellow soon after. I have my lighting on for 12hrs and I keep it covered and mist daily. I will be flooding soon and adding co2 and ferts but I wanted to see if anyone knew why this was happening.
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
808Hawaii
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've followed some TPT members on my dry start with hc. Been a week so far. And slowly getting there. I've read that you shouldn't pool you're soil, but just enough for it to be moist.

I spray once a day with excel mixed(less then half cap mixed in) it helps to keep away algae an mold. And I leave my light on 9 hrs a day on a timer.
808Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Hawaii View Post
I've followed some TPT members on my dry start with hc. Been a week so far. And slowly getting there. I've read that you shouldn't pool you're soil, but just enough for it to be moist.

I spray once a day with excel mixed(less then half cap mixed in) it helps to keep away algae an mold. And I leave my light on 9 hrs a day on a timer.
Trust me I have looked into everything plenty. I have been doing this for 2 months haha and I have great results. And I am not so sure you want to be adding ferts to your spray many people suggest not to because you can cause a build up and hurt your plants. I also dont pool the soil I keep the water at the level of my soil where its supposed to be.

Any one else experience this?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Heat is the greatest enemy of growing HC emersed. If the air in the container gets hot, your HC will brown up or die.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
Heat is the greatest enemy of growing HC emersed. If the air in the container gets hot, your HC will brown up or die.
Good to know! I decided to just fill my tank finally and add macro and micro ferts and my co2 system is assembled just need to fill my tank and I will be set. Hopefully the brown spots stop..
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Am I done yet?
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes heat can be a problem. Another thing to consider is that as the plants grow more leaves they will evaporate more and more water. So you have to increase the misting appropriately.

Don't worry if you get browning after you fill your tank, it takes a will for the plant to adjust. Just give it a week or two and it'll start growing again.
Am I done yet? is offline   Reply With Quote