20l Iwagumi internal sump *11/23/2012*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

20l Iwagumi internal sump *11/23/2012*

how the tank sits as of 11/23/2012

This is going to be not only my first iwagumi but also my first ever sump build. Now given that this isn’t exactly a sump in the sense that it is below the tank but this filter will combine the larger filtration of a sump with the ability to hide the equipment and still keep the reliability of a fully enclosed tank. Im starting off with a standard 20 long from petco and 60 pounds of eco complete. My plan is to do this build with nothing but HC and Seiryu Stone. This is finals week for me and this is kind of my way of staying sane in-between the constant studying. That being said im going to let my pictures do the talking.
Tank and gravel right after petco

Un amused girlfriend after I removed the rims of the tank

Here are the edges of the tank after removing glue

The edges post sanding

Here you can kind of see what the idea is going to be for the filter unfortunately they cut the wrong dimensions so back to the glass cutter to get the correct piece

Last edited by awdturbo04; 11-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: update
awdturbo04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

I was on a trip to the southern part of the state “WV” to give a presentation on a proposed hydro turbine project for a rainbow trout hatchery. On the way down I snapped this picture for a lil inspiration. The lighting is poor but you get the idea very lushy green with jagged rock outcroppings.

Here is a very confused pup

My rocks came from aqua forest as well as my two sump fittings and glass drill bits

I modified the bulkhead fittings to be combined to one inlet that will be fed directly from the 200 GPH I am looking forward to having a lot of circulation without a lot of top water agitation

Here it is after drilling and installing the sump holes as well as the holes for the “adjustable” overflow. More to come on the over flow later.

And then painted

Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

I glued in the baffles to go behind the black back plate as seen here

As I am working directly next to my 75 while doing all of this I had to take a quick snap

Here you can see that I have installed the sump pump in preparation for gluing the back plate in tomorrow
Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Mr.Desert_scape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks like an interesting set up! I'm interested to see how a little bit larger tank holds up without the rim.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I want to see what you do with the sump.

Props for taking your time on your de-rim. I only have done the tops on my 20 longs and that alone takes me hours. I see many people leaving the excess silicone on. I feel like I did a good job on both mine but still managed to scratch them up very slightly, yours looks really good. I will likely never de-rim a tank because the side silicone looks bad but I just like seeing it done well.

Please post updates as you go.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Interesting build. I wouldnt worry about the tank failing. Dont remember his name but there is a thread of a member here who derimmed a 75 and it held.
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Kworker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Really like that internal sump idea and looks clean.. just a thought though.. couldn't you have used something other than the glass to construct the sump? Something simpler and cheaper since it was painted anyway? That way you wouldn't have to go to glass shops or such
Kworker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I want to see what you do with the sump.

Props for taking your time on your de-rim. I only have done the tops on my 20 longs and that alone takes me hours. I see many people leaving the excess silicone on. I feel like I did a good job on both mine but still managed to scratch them up very slightly, yours looks really good. I will likely never de-rim a tank because the side silicone looks bad but I just like seeing it done well.

Please post updates as you go.
It helps that i used an orbital sander and took my time to mask off the edges first. i did get one scratch on the glass but that side quickly became the back ha ha.

Quote:
Really like that internal sump idea and looks clean.. just a thought though.. couldn't you have used something other than the glass to construct the sump? Something simpler and cheaper since it was painted anyway? That way you wouldn't have to go to glass shops or such
I could have used plexi but in the bast i have had issues gluing plexi to glass so i wanted to avoid that. i also entertained the idea of using metal for a little bit. I think i could have gotten away with a large piece of alumnium but i like the look of glass painted from behind its almost like a black mirror. which is going to suck to take pictures of ha ha

here is where i got the idea for the sump. I saw this tank in a fish store called wet pets just outside of Pittsburgh

Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I always thought about doing this sort of thing. Hows the co2 gonna hold up though for something like this? Without a lid wouldnt it just gas out?
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
I always thought about doing this sort of thing. Hows the co2 gonna hold up though for something like this? Without a lid wouldnt it just gas out?
Nah lots of people run co2 with a sump setups and the pump im using has a line for injection into the outflow so should work as a pretty good diffuser to just dump straight into the tank
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Alright so finals are over and as I would have liked them to have gone a little bit better there in the past now so time for an update!!!!!!!
…….. I should have spent more time studying Fluid Dynamics then thinking about fish tanks :-(
Here is the glass finally glued in

These are some pictures to show the executed overflow design that is completely removable and adjustable

Here is the rear of the tank running and the front of the tank filled.

Unfortunately as I should have known the paint didn’t stick as can be seen here

I did a test with a better paint and sanding the glass on one of the circles I cut out. Paint stuck great until submersed and then it had the same result.

I ended up finding a solution to this problem but that will come in my next up date :-).
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Ok so the solution I came up with the background paint which has actually been working for the last 4 days flawlessly is using window tint I had left over from a car project. This is doing much better than the 20 minutes it took for the paint to peel off.
Some of the Seriyu stones I had were too large so I ended up breaking them with a sledge hammer and a wood splitting wedge. Now after I did this the rock had really sharp edges. My solution to this was to tumble the rocks over night in a solution of sand and water… mostly water. This worked great to remove the dirt oxidation and sharp edges from the breaking.
I went from this

To this

And then tumbled it to look like this

Here is the scape as she sits now with the tinted background. Still not completely set on the rock setup but we’ll see what happens.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

IMHO Bigger rocks look better but the scape does look nice I'm interested to see this running...

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
IMHO Bigger rocks look better but the scape does look nice I'm interested to see this running...
i love the two big ones i have in there and i actually added a third large one that will be in my next up date. but the rock i split up had one really good side and all the other sides looked like crap. so this was my way of making it more useful as a sort of transition stone. i also split one other really flat rock that ended making all four small yet peakey rocks on the far right and the two closest to the middle. i was really happy with the way these stones split.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Window tint is so much better than paint. Glad you figured it out. Looks better too.

I like the scape. I wish the right side had more going on but I don't know exactly what.

I think it would be cool if you leveled the front though. Not only is it more appealing in general (IMO) but it would make the left look higher. I don't know if some of the smaller rocks are buried but if they are, they could come up a bit.

Not trying to be overly critical, it looks great.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.