Visiting Saint Louis!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Missouri

Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Visiting Saint Louis!

Hey STL,

Haven't been back in awhile but I'm visiting my family in Saint Louis next week and I wanted to know where is the best place (local fish stores, pet stores, etc) in the city to get freshwater shrimp and plants? Let me know where the best places are!

Thanks in advance.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Not sure how long it's been since you've been back but the St. Louis lfs scene has really gone down hill. Only 2 shops I still visit, Tropical World on Watson and Malawi Aquatics up in north county. Of course, if you put off your trip til Nov. 1, the AGA convention will be here. Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay!
BigMOCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have not been to Malawi, but Tropical World and my other fav Aquaworld on Gravois rarely have much in the way of shrimp: red cherries usually, not much else. Aquaworld does have the best plant selection in town though.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Hi All,

Too bad, quality local aquarium shops are good for the local hobby and local clubs. During high school and my first year of college I worked at Vick's Aquarium at 7248 Gravois. They were the area's largest fish, plant, and dry goods wholesaler and distributor at the time. Weekly shipments came in from FL, Asia, and SA. They also built their own line of brass anodized (gold colored) aluminum frame aquariums.

Vick's Aquarium (slightly before my day!)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Davelybob
Algae Grower

I haven't been there in a year or two, but Malawi's a great shop. I've never bought fish there because I've only recently started keeping fish, but I used to get crickets there for my lizard and have always popped in every once in a while just to look. Mostly Cichlids, mostly from Lake Malawi. Their fish are gorgeous, but I don't keep cichlids so don't take my word for it, go see for yourself. They used to always have alligators too, so make sure to poke your head over on that side of the shop. Let me know if they still have those giant red-tailed catfish, those suckers were like 5 foot long last time I was there, but it's been awhile.
Davelybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aquaworld has a large catfish in a tank with a beautiful arowana, a nice large planted show tank, and a large saltwater eel tank with the meanest looking moray I have ever seen. It does NOT make friends.

I guess that is why I hav not yet been to Malawi; I haven't been sucked into the african chiclid game (yet).

Vick's was the fish store of my youth. What a great place. Nice picture!
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 10-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: sp
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, you people weren't kidding. There ain't nothing in this city! Thank god for places like NYC.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Davelybob
Algae Grower

MASI meeting is tomorrow. They auction stuff off cheap at the end.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2
Davelybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

I remember going to Vicks a few times, what a great place. We've lost so many fine stores over the years, it's really sad! Thanks for the pic!
BigMOCats is offline   Reply With Quote