2012 AGA Convention - Nov 1-4 - St. Louis
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Aquatic Gardeners Association

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

2012 AGA Convention - Nov 1-4 - St. Louis

The Missouri Aquarium Society, Inc. is proud to announce that we will be hosting the Aquatic Gardeners Association 2012 Convention right here in St. Louis on November 1 - 4, 2012.

The convention will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Airport. See the link to the right to reserve a room. There is a free 24-hour shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

We'll have a great lineup of speakers--Prof. Niels Jacobsen of the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, eminent authority on Cryptocoryne species, will be the keynote speaker. Also featured will be Kris Weinhold, Brandon McLane of Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Tom Barr, and MORE! Speaker talks and bios coming soon!

This year we're going to have a Live Aquascaping Workshop. Under the guidance of a mentor, you can create your own nano aquascape to take home with you. Includes tank, all equipment, hardscape, and plants. (We're still negotiating the final price on this event, so stay tuned.)

Also new this year will be a Photo Contest - "Planted Tanks, Plants and Blooms". Winner announced and prize awarded at the Saturday Banquet.

For the first time ever, we've got two days of Field Trips. Come a day early and join us for the Thursday Field Trip to the St. Louis Zoo and nearby St. Louis Art Museum. At the zoo, we are trying to make arrangements for a free "behind the scenes" tour with a zoo employee who is a member of MASI. The Art Museum tour will be led by a docent who will focus on aquatic plant themes and fish/wildlife.

Thursday night, everyone is invited to a locally-sourced wine-and-cheese reception down the street from the hotel at Jerry Jost's business, Jost Chemical, including a tour of his spectacular fish room/laboratory with twin 90-gallon tanks that alone are worth the trip.

Friday's Field Trip will be to the fabulous Missouri Botanical Garden. Transportation and basic entry fees are included for both Field Trips. Lunch is on your own, but there are plenty of places to choose from.

Friday, November 2th, the presentations will begin in the evening and continue through Saturday afternoon. Saturday night's banquet will feature Niels Jacobsen speaking on his "Wanderings in the Great Forests of SE Asia," and of course the 2012 AGA Aquascaping Contest Winners!

And finally on Sunday November 4th, there is a huge all-day Plant Auction. This is certainly the biggest and best plant auction in the US, with plenty of options for the beginner and advanced hobbyist.
There will also be vendors, raffles, t-shirts, etc.

For more info: http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter @AGA2012STL.

Register by September 1st to be entered in a drawing to win a Tunze CO2 Controller, a $400 value!
BigMOCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (201/100%)

I'm planning on going. Who else will be there?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

You know, I may just have to go to this one since I grew up in St. Louis and was a MASI member back in the 1970's! It sounds like it will be an awesome event; I know that several GSAS members are planning to attend!

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
dxiong5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Hopefully my schedule is open around that time - never been to an AGA convention, but I think I'll be able to learn quite a bit from it, plus meet folks and put faces to forum names. I actually met Kris Weinhold last weekend here in Madison, WI; he gave an excellent talk on the high tech approach to planted tanks and I definitely learned something.

Side note: Does anyone know when the AGA Aquascaping contest will open?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (201/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiong5 View Post
Hopefully my schedule is open around that time - never been to an AGA convention, but I think I'll be able to learn quite a bit from it, plus meet folks and put faces to forum names. I actually met Kris Weinhold last weekend here in Madison, WI; he gave an excellent talk on the high tech approach to planted tanks and I definitely learned something.

Side note: Does anyone know when the AGA Aquascaping contest will open?
I know the contest closes sometime in September usually. Isn't it open for entries now?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi Aaron,

I think it opens around mid-June or early July; I guess I need to come up with some ideas!

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I'm going!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT View Post
I'm planning on going. Who else will be there?
I suppose I better go if I'm speaking.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I will be there for most of the days....Thursday will be tough, but will be there for the other days. I just moved from there back in October and it's an easy drive from Nashville.
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
rainbowfishes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
You know, I may just have to go to this one since I grew up in St. Louis and was a MASI member back in the 1970's! It sounds like it will be an awesome event; I know that several GSAS members are planning to attend!
G'day Roy,

I heard at least one of the GSAS members say that they found some great rates with Alaska airlines from Seattle to St. Louis. Hope you'll make plans to come down with the others. I'll make you deal. Drag two other GSAS members with you and I'll drive you over for a private tour of the rainbowfish ranch. Kathy and Erik don't count as they are already going. I'm only 15 minutes away or less from the show site. And we can always make a detour tI wouldn't say that every tank is a planted masterpiece but most have plants and about a dozen are on CO2. Having a decent background of plants makes rainbowfish go from kind of nice looking to WOW, like my Heiko fish below. These guys never fail to keep visitors entertained. Hope to see you again in St. Louis.

cheers,
Gary Lange
rainbowfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
Tinanti
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I suppose I better go if I'm speaking.
Me too.
Tinanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

I hope to be able to make it. Too early to know though.

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #13
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Update on the Aquascaping Workshop

The tank is the Fluval Flora (7.5 gal). It retails for about $100, and includes the light, filter, CO2 system, glass cover, and substrate. You also get rocks, driftwood, and plants. If you are flying in, you can have your tank shipped home for about $15. There are only 18 slots for this workshop, so register EARLY if you are interested.

See ya in St. Louis!!
BigMOCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
rainbowfishes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmocats View Post
the tank is the fluval flora (7.5 gal). It retails for about $100, and includes the light, filter, co2 system, glass cover, and substrate. You also get rocks, driftwood, and plants. If you are flying in, you can have your tank shipped home for about $15. There are only 18 slots for this workshop, so register early if you are interested.

See ya in st. Louis!!
only 13 slots left!
rainbowfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

I'll bring some weeds to fill some of the tanks and for the AGA/Local club.
This will include some of the coveted Elatine hydropiper.

Maybe something else cool.