New camera picspam!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

New camera picspam!!

I just now tried out my new Canon Rebel T3 for the very first time, and I LOVEEEEEEE it! I only have the kit 18-55mm lens right now, but I'm still really happy with the pics I'm getting so far. I'm a total DLSR newbie, so I have tons to learn, but already these pics are a vast improvement over my old Canon P&S.

Starting off with my new male Emerald Swift, Antonio:

Madero and Maeva, two of my P. standingi

A few of some of my brand new P. m. grandis hatchlings (they were very flighty and not very cooperative models LOL):

Julien

Nirina

Here's the original pic (have I mentioned how much I love this camera??? <3!)

And their dad, Amando

Closeup of Phelsuma skin

And I'm learning that taking pics of flowers is tricky... lots of depth and hard to figure out what you're focusing on...

... and that's it for right this minute.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Looks like Laurel is the lizard lady!

Did you edit these pics at all? What settings did you use?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

WOW! When I saw the "Picspam" and you posted last, I thought it was closed because of spam!

Those are some pretty sweet shots for your first pics. Got any of your underwater friends? Those almost look as good as a Nikon! Almost...

Your going to be pro in a weeks time, because those are already pro looking.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Once you go DSLR, you never go back! Why bother with point and shoots, might as well spend the money once and be set for quite a while

It's worth it for no shutter lag alone. I want to freak everytime I try to take a pic with a point and shoot and I click the button and it takes a picture when it feels like it (a second and a half later) lol!
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Thanks guys! I'm really tickled with this camera.

And the only editing I did on any of these pics was cropping. I'm trying to keep a managable learning curve so working on learning just one thing at a time. My plan is to learn the camera first, and switch over to RAW and start learning processing (probably with Photoshop) at some point after that.

All camera settings were on auto except I switched over and started experimenting with manual focus for some of these (can't remember now which pics were taken with auto vs manual focus lol).

I'll work on getting some tank pics at some point too. The lizards are easier b/c they hold somewhat still some of the time... LOL
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Looking good!
The kit lens (if it is the IS version) is actually excellent for what it costs. Very sharp, great macro capabilities. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

An external flash can do wonders. That would be my next step. And perhaps some way to get it off-camera. The T3i has wireless capabilities, very nice. The T3 has not.

After many years of photographing and post processing I STILL shoot jpg only. The potential improvement of Raw isn't worth the added time and storage requirements to me (a non-professional shooter). I spend some more thought upfront to make sure the exposure is correct, perhaps bracket a few shots. Minor (or even major) color shifts can be fixed with jpg's just as well.

I do a lot of image processing... Here is Antonio with a bit of color correction and sharpening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	geico.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	46550  

Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
zdnet
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I just now tried out my new Canon Rebel T3 for the very first time, and I LOVEEEEEEE it! I only have the kit 18-55mm lens right now, but I'm still really happy with the pics I'm getting so far. I'm a total DLSR newbie, so I have tons to learn, but already these pics are a vast improvement over my old Canon P&S.

Starting off with my new male Emerald Swift, Antonio:

In that shot, were you stroking him with your index finger? Looks like he was savoring his moment.
zdnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Looking good!
The kit lens (if it is the IS version) is actually excellent for what it costs. Very sharp, great macro capabilities. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

An external flash can do wonders. That would be my next step. And perhaps some way to get it off-camera. The T3i has wireless capabilities, very nice. The T3 has not.

After many years of photographing and post processing I STILL shoot jpg only. The potential improvement of Raw isn't worth the added time and storage requirements to me (a non-professional shooter). I spend some more thought upfront to make sure the exposure is correct, perhaps bracket a few shots. Minor (or even major) color shifts can be fixed with jpg's just as well.

I do a lot of image processing... Here is Antonio with a bit of color correction and sharpening.
Nice, I just got the T3i myself and am having a blast messing around with it. Tons to learn and the telephoto lense is kind of fun to play with as well that I got.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
rainbowfishes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I really like the Canon Rebel series of DSLR's, I'm on my third one with my T2i. I like them because they are much lighter weight than some of the heftier Canons. If you're waiting a long time for that perfect pic that extra pound matters. I don't really have a need to do a lot of full frame photos, like outdoors/landscape stuff so the 1.6x is fine, almost better for fish macro work. I do set up a few things on my camera that, to me, help me take better fish pictures. I normally shoot with my Canon 100 mm macro in manual mode. Most fast moving fish, especially the small ones are just too hard to capture with auto focus. I can autofocus sometimes with my 50 mm macro (Canon again). If I was buying one macro lens now I think I might start with the 65 mm macro, which in theory sounds like a good lens. I always shoot with the largest jpeg AND raw. If you really need a lot of work on a really unique image that you can't reshoot you'll appreciate having the raw file. One two different Canon Rebel cameras I've had my cameras "throw-up" while flying over the jungles of Papua. Whether it was set to "Auto white balance" or specifically sunny/shade/etc the photos always came out a very funny blue. By having a raw file it was just a matter of moving a slider in PS to get all of the colors back again. That would have taken hours to change with a jpeg. You can always toss them after you download and then decide, it's free film anyway.

For fish and small stuff I also shoot with spot metering and I use the center spot for autofocus metering, even though I normally don't use AF mode. It's because I set up the camera in "Beep enabled" mode. When I'm manually focussing on a fish I can press 1/2 way down and it will tell me if it thinks I really have focus by giving a beep. I always set up the camera in M, manual mode and for a 100 mm macro set up at f-16 or 22, sometimes F-11. For the 50 mm you can drop 1 true f stop wider to F-8. None of my Rebels has had wireless capabilities built in so the ST-E2 wireless for Canon has been priceless. Even better when you start to add a second flash. The 580 EX II is a really good flash for fish pix when used with Canon products.

The only time I really wish I had a full frame camera is when I shooting a big planted tank and I want to get all of it. The kit IS lens that comes with the Rebels now is pretty decent for that price. I really wouldn't try to rely on that so called macro in it though to take fish pics, especially in manual mode. The little fish are especially challenging but when you get them finally it's a lot of fun.

gary

rainbowfishes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Cool pics, I learned to use the LCD more as opposed to the view finder on the T3i, seems to get better pics than using the focal points.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Congrats on the new camera and great shots already.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.