ecoxotic LED Strips
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

ecoxotic LED Strips

Hi all ......... I have been away for a few years but it's nice to see some old friends are still around!

My tanks are neglected, CO2 tanks are empty ..... everything is on a bare bones holding pattern till I retire in 18 months.

I just need some help from a few friends. My old Current Orbit compact fluorescent fixture on my 55g is dead. My guess is that it needs another transformer. This gives me the excuse of upgrading, well sort of. I'm tired of the heat issue and fan noise. Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips 48" is $99 not too bad, not fancy but my tanks are pretty basic right now.

I would strip out the guts of the Orbit leaving the fans and reflector and just stick on the LEDS.

What ya think?

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Relativistic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sounds like a pretty solid plan. The LFS here in Tampa has some of the stunners on display, the trick is not burning out my retinas by staring at them too long. They always have that 'oooh, shiny' effect on me
Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2

I think you will need 2 fixtures to have a far amount of light. the 1 footers I have aren't overly bright, and thats even directly under them. I use them for morning light on a 180, need to pick more up at some time.
jjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote