new 55 gal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Azarakiah
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

new 55 gal

ok so i ordered a canister filter, should be here around the 3rd it says, o filtration is covered, i need to figure out my lighting i found this

[Ebay Link Removed]

would like any info or opinions

id like to TRY to keep my lighting under 100 bucks

and what lighting would that probably put me in? medium high? or high?
ill be buying a co2 tank b4 i get it all going if need be. only other options im thinking of is a dual bulb t5 NO shop light or a few dome lights on a glass top. any insight would be great.
Azarakiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Azarakiah
Planted Member

idk why but my link got removed w/e ill post a screnshot of it...
Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Azarakiah
Planted Member

this is the one im thinkinb about buying, need ppls insight bout it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t5ho.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	46479  

Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you look at Hoppy's sticky on PAR levels, 2x T5's on a 55 gallon would be considered high light. What is the cost of that fixture? I have an aquaticlife 2x 54 watt T5 fixture on my 55 and I love it. Plus, if you want to go for more advanced plants it makes it so you can add another light and they hook together so it looks like one continuous fixture. They are only around $ 135 on amazon, plus they have individual reflectors (one for each bulb) I'm not sure if the fixture you posted has individual reflectors but it makes a big difference with light levels.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Azarakiah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
If you look at Hoppy's sticky on PAR levels, 2x T5's on a 55 gallon would be considered high light. What is the cost of that fixture? I have an aquaticlife 2x 54 watt T5 fixture on my 55 and I love it. Plus, if you want to go for more advanced plants it makes it so you can add another light and they hook together so it looks like one continuous fixture. They are only around $ 135 on amazon, plus they have individual reflectors (one for each bulb) I'm not sure if the fixture you posted has individual reflectors but it makes a big difference with light levels.
it was like 81 on ebay, in the pics below it, it had bulbs with odysea on them so idk if thats the brand of the fixture or not. high light ios fine atleast ill be able to get somne decent carpet stuff going..
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

What type of carpet were you thinking about? If possible i'd stay away from odysea...
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Azarakiah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
What type of carpet were you thinking about? If possible i'd stay away from odysea...
idk i was thinking glosso, but hc is very nice looking.. this wopuld be my first time doing high light and pressurized co2.. my 40 gal i had was amazing and only had the diy co2 on it with the ceramic diffuser, if i could get a decent looking dual t5ho for under 100 bucks ill def do it, otherwise imma build a canopy and hide like 6 dome lights behind it..
Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not sure about glosso with just 2 t5's on a 55, I've personally never tried glosso. Maybe someone else can chime in for that, but if possible id go for an aquatic life fixture, and if that's not enough then you could add another later.