Just Hello.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
DeepLurker

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just Hello.

Just saying hi.
Looks like a great comunity, lots of helpful members. I found you by looking up tank issues on google and "Planted Tank" kept coming up.

I have had one 55G tanks set up for close to 10 years with varing successes and failures. I run a Fluval 204, a fluval 2 plus underwater jet filter and a corner sponge bubbler(i think it is useless). It is a comunity tank and any peacful fish are welcome.

My oldest fish is a false upside down cat{Synodontis nigrita} i think and he(?) is about 6 years 4.5 -5 inches. Tantori (his name) has been a great fish for many years and most of the tank decisions are made around his percived happiness. Normaly he has been a bottom dweller but recently i added a large peice of Malasian Drift that increases the height of his teritory. Its been about 3 weeks and he comfortably sits at the tank midlevel in the Drift crevases (so long as he has a shadow to lurk in he seems fine).

After that i have four long lived blackskirts, a large (5")chinese algea eater (i love the look of it and has always been peaceful in my tank), a small grouping of guppies, a nice little school of six leopard danios and some assoted odds and ends.

Just recently i decided to step it up a little with more plants (though very few are available localy), CO2 (homebrewed) and Shrimp. My LFS does not stock shrimp and after i ordered i discovered i wanted amano's not ghosts (for algea clean up patrol) but the females came preberried so thats nice(i read that i may need to move them to a cooler tank if i want breeding success). As far as the algea goes i do not have an issue right now but as i just added co2 i thought it was the pertinent move. I have been watching my tank closely the last 4 days as my one bottle homebrew co2 is a brand new adition. For difusion I drilled a hole in the back of a fluval 2 plus, during the day i am counting about 17 bubbles/min and at night it turns off with the timer and releases large bubbles slowly.

At the same time as i went to pick up my ghosts i spied something at the LFS...Dragon gobies AKA "Violet Gobies". Well, I was very excited because I have not seen them around my area for years, previously i had a set of 3 and they were wonderful in my tank. They never bother anyone and are fun to watch, I had them about 4 years and the largest one was about 9 inches. I am adding a little marine salt to the tank now but dont have the required equipment to test the levels...i hope its ok.

As far as my plants go i don't know what many of them are and i am willing to bet some are planted upsidedown. What i do know is i have Javafern and a brazilian sword(just found out its not true aqua, thanks LFS#2) other than that i realy don't know what it all is, LFS#1 was nice and gave me tons of floating debris and some melted plants for free so i am hoping some of it perks ups.

I don't (think) I have any issues just now, yet sooner or later i will be mining the sites hive mind for info, i am certain of it. I also hope to add some pictures soon, i may keep the tank lights on a bit late tonight to get some glamor shots.

Feel free to coment on my set up, i would love some feedback.
Also, this is the first fish comunity i have joined and i am excited about it.

I suppose i will get back to reading about nitrogen/amonia spikes, shrimp breeding and the like.

Thanks for having me.
DeepLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Welcome to the forum!
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote