Fixture opinions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
BigCountry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fixture opinions

Has anyone used this fixture?

http://www.aquariumguys.com/zoo-med-...hood-48in.html

I was thinking about getting it to add to my Coralife 130W CF on my 75g planted tank.

Would that make the lighting high enough? Too high? Too low? I have read some posts stating that the HO bulbs do much better?

Thanks

Edit: I kind of wish I hadn't bought the 130W CF a few years back, but when researching then, it seemed like a good choice.
BigCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I would try to hang that light about 26-28 inches above the substrate, to avoid having very high light, with all of the problems that go with that. You dont need the compact fluorescent light at all then. Or, you could put the PC light over the front part of the tank, and hang the T5HO light over the rear part of the tank.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
BigCountry
Planted Member

Thanks Hoppy. I appreciate the help. I sure don't remember these T5HO fixtures in this price range 3 years ago when I first attempted this. I thought I was getting a steal at the time on the CF, and had no idea it was inferior to the T5HO. I guess I was still stuck on the WPG thing back then.

One last set of questions: I have been studying all of the charts etc. about PAR, and it looks like the CF fixtures are not too great at all. Would it be a good idea for me to just completely get rid of it, since it seems that not much of the good light gets to the substrate anyway? Then just go with the Dual T5HO for a total of 108 watts of light at 26" to 28" above the top of the substrate? That would be considered high light for me to grow about anything?

Last edited by BigCountry; 04-28-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
BigCountry
Planted Member

I feel like such a dolt. There it is staring me in the face right in Hoppys sticky thread on PAR. 2 T5HO lights at the 20" (well 21) height of the 75 gallon tank is considered high light. So I guess I need to find a fixture with a decent reflector. I guess I should start a new thread on that. (after I search for existing ones).