How to keep java fern growing big and green? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #31
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Yellow labs and neons are the best combination of fish to keep together, you should definitely read up on their compatibility. As for the java ferns they do require nutrients even in a low tech setup. I read you do 50% weekly water changes but you're not adding any ferts. Usually with low tech setups the opposite is better - adding an all-inclusive fert (may once a week) along with less water changes to keep the CO2 levels consistent. Sounds like your fern may be starving for a carbon source, or a lack of other nutrients, or all the above. The lighting is good though.
Thinking I may switch it up as you suggested. Bi-weekly 50% H2O change and weekly fertz and see how it goes. Hope water quality doesn't suffer cause I think I have a huge bioload (6 yellow labs, 6 demasoni, 21 leopard danios, and 1-2 otos, actually seen them, guess they're surving for now). My ferns definately can't get worse. I love this tank but kind of wishing I had a 4 ft tank or larger for these cichlids and more ferns and anubias of course.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
Does anyone think I should be dosing ferts in small amounts?
Usually ferns don't need ferts but you said you had a problem with them in the past so ferts are in need. I have found that they love phosphates. Living near a big city my water is treated with phoshates, thus they flourish without other ferts dosed. Tinking 5ml a week would be helpful. I use a baby's medicine measuring spoon, which is any drug store.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #33
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: this is my nikon d5100 pic. You can see my ferns in better detail. Only doing bi-weekly water changes now. Water clarity and plant stability seem the same. Still contemplating a fert program for this tank. It's a lot more thinned out vs. when I first planted; got rid of a lot of dead leaves. Still got slight growth. Also, either I got a few trident ferns, or just regular ferns with a difformity for some reason. Ferns directly beneath the light seemed to have "burned."

RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #34
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
Still contemplating a fert program for this tank.
Try Potassium sulfate from aquarium fertilizer or green leaf aquariums or perhaps the swap shop at this forum.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #35
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Try Potassium sulfate from aquarium fertilizer or green leaf aquariums or perhaps the swap shop at this forum.
How much and how often? I EI dose on my nano tanks, using dry fertz from GLA.

Did you come to this conclusion by looking at the leaves? Excuse my ignorance. I read and read and read till I go cross-eyed and it still doesn't sink in.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #36
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

What is your ph and kh and gh in this tank?
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #37
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

This isn't a very good setup for your cichlids. I'm hoping your using some salts and have high pH for them.

Please consider reading up on the labs and demasoni.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_demasoni.php
http://webgazelle.hubpages.com/hub/C...Yellow-Cichlid

It is best to keep mbuna cichlids only with other mbuna cichlids. Also 55g is usually the smallest recommended for African cichlids. 34 fish in that tank is very crowded and labs can get territorial while breeding and hurt your other fish. I have a 125g cichlid setup and only 28 cichlids in it.
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
This isn't a very good setup for your cichlids. I'm hoping your using some salts and have high pH for them.

Please consider reading up on the labs and demasoni.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_demasoni.php
http://webgazelle.hubpages.com/hub/C...Yellow-Cichlid

It is best to keep mbuna cichlids only with other mbuna cichlids. Also 55g is usually the smallest recommended for African cichlids. 34 fish in that tank is very crowded and labs can get territorial while breeding and hurt your other fish. I have a 125g cichlid setup and only 28 cichlids in it.
Will do. I have to admit, this was a rush job to satisfy my 18 mo old daughter's new found curiosity for fish. I set this tank up at my mother's house since she baby sits frequently. I just picked fish that looked great. I did brief research and knew I was taking a chance. Irresponsible fish keper on my part. I was acutally shopping for a 110 gal to transfer everything into but the craigslist deal fell thru. Thanks for the informative links.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #39
jerrybforl
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to jerrybforl Send a message via Skype™ to jerrybforl

I have several low tech tanks. I do weekly 50% WC and no issues. With Java fern, you have to pull the babies off. They kill the mother leaf if just left. I have a huge java in my 100 gallon that gets nice CO2 and ferting.

Use the EI method for good results. Do you know how much PAR you have from the light?

Also I saw a demasoni in there, and they will kill your danios. How many labs do you have in there? With yellow labs, you need a nice group not just 2-3. I had a 75 set up with them and I had a about 12 in there. They were always out and about. Demasoni are far more aggressive than YLs. You need more of them than the YLs. Otherwise they will just pick on the YLs. I like the look of the scape though.

Look into the EI method and dose once a week of each fert...KNO3, CSM+B, and K2SO4.

Dose the CSM+B once a week and the other two once a week.

JJ
jerrybforl is offline   Reply With Quote