C. Helferi - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #31
cradleoffilthfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I do the EI method. I fertilize on Mondays(after at least a 50 percent water change) then I fertilize again on Thursday. I only fertilize twice a week. The tank is new and I know it's not really a "Fully planted" tank yet because like the above said, it's transitioning from emersed to submersed growth. I can see where the new growth starts and the emersed growth stops and the submersed growth looks fine, it's growing well, it's just now growing across, it's growing tall. The plants are all pearling.....the C. Helferi is actually coming back a little, but the glosso is still just growing really tall. I turned the flow down slightly because it was starting to move the substrate, I moved it down where the glosso would stay in place, but all the plants are moving, so I know there is adequate circulation. I don't think it's a fertilizer problem, I don't think its a co2 problem, I do top the tank off with water from an established tank, but that's just during the week, I still do weekly 50 percent water changes per the EI method. I am not sure what else it could be but lighting issues.......
cradleoffilthfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #32
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
my glosoo grow upward when they dont get enough flow and co2 under 2x54w t5ho (catalina fixture). simply adjusting the spray bar fixed this issue.
So scientifically how does this work?

How high is your fixture from the glosso?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #33
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Also, if it's emersed, it can take a while for it to full convert to submersed. I had some crypts that melted down to a couple leaves but sprouted back once they had a nice root system. If it doesn't seem to be getting worse, I'd say just leave it alone.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #34
kuro
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
consider decaying or dead plants

good luck with your glosso, you wont see any changes till you start chaning the water.
But his tank is barely two week old he should see ammonia rather then nitrate unless he using filter from his previous tank however he should consider top off with ro water or tap water then using water from his other aquarium your tds going to creep up pretty high if you don't.

Canon Pimp Club #038
kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #35
cradleoffilthfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

you have a 95 gallon tank with a Catalina light above it, what is the depth? it's got to be at least 22 inches or so.....I will have 3 24 watt on my Catalina light.....the glosso is sitting about 15 inches below the light. I think the intensity on this fixture above my tank with that depth should be quite a bit more than what I currently have though. The little Coralife bulbs are sitting pretty close to each other, and the reflector kinda sucks to be honest. I am hoping the reflectors and different fixture will help......
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #36
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradleoffilthfan View Post
I do the EI method. I fertilize on Mondays(after at least a 50 percent water change) then I fertilize again on Thursday. I only fertilize twice a week. The tank is new and I know it's not really a "Fully planted" tank yet because like the above said, it's transitioning from emersed to submersed growth. I can see where the new growth starts and the emersed growth stops and the submersed growth looks fine, it's growing well, it's just now growing across, it's growing tall. The plants are all pearling.....the C. Helferi is actually coming back a little, but the glosso is still just growing really tall. I turned the flow down slightly because it was starting to move the substrate, I moved it down where the glosso would stay in place, but all the plants are moving, so I know there is adequate circulation. I don't think it's a fertilizer problem, I don't think its a co2 problem, I do top the tank off with water from an established tank, but that's just during the week, I still do weekly 50 percent water changes per the EI method. I am not sure what else it could be but lighting issues.......

are you using the Catalina lights that you ordered or it still the old lights?

give it some time and plant should take off, sound like you are doing everything correctly. but such a high nitrate is something to think about, IME such a high nitrate stunt the plant growth.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #37
cradleoffilthfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also the tank I use to top off the water with reads 5 ppm nitrates, it only has shrimp in it....I don't have a source of ammonia. No livestock at the moment.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #38
cradleoffilthfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

The nitrates are high because I was dosing KNO3 for a minute hoping it would help. But it wasn't.....so I just stopped dosing that, I will do a 50 percent water change tomorrow and see what it goes down to. I am currently using the Coralife still, the Catalina light I just bought today and Jim told me it would take a couple days to build and a couple days to ship. I am hoping it will be here in a couple weeks.....
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #39
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
So scientifically how does this work?

How high is your fixture from the glosso?
about 20" and catalina lights are much better than the ebay brand which actually grew glosso very well too at same distance.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #40
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro View Post
But his tank is barely two week old he should see ammonia rather then nitrate unless he using filter from his previous tank however he should consider top off with ro water or tap water then using water from his other aquarium your tds going to creep up pretty high if you don't.
i must have missed about when he setup the tank, sounds like good backteria is kikking in and ada soil release lot of ammonium into the tank and it will slowly convert to nitrate, hmm that explains the high nitrate.

there will be lot of phosphate and Amonnium release from ada soil for few weeks.

EDIT" apply this if your setup is also using new soil
Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #41
cradleoffilthfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

New soil. Just setup a few weeks ago. That's why I was topping off with water from my established tank. Just wanted a little good bacteria in there.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #42
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

There's virtually no bacteria in the water column. However, it colonizes in massive quantities on media.

Is it the New Aqua Soil Amazonia? If so, it'll be leaching some good old ammonia a long time...
Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #43
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradleoffilthfan View Post
New soil. Just setup a few weeks ago. That's why I was topping off with water from my established tank. Just wanted a little good bacteria in there.
your best bet for now is to change much as water you can, dose only traces and K+ for now.

if you want more backteria, grab a sponge from your older tank filter and squeeze that brown water in your this setup.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #44
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Even better, toss the sponge/media into your filter
Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #45
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote: