First tank ever! Fluval Edge 6 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
SDRugby

PTrader: (0/0%)

First tank ever! Fluval Edge 6 gallon

This is my first planted tank and I joined this forum hoping for a little help. I've had aquariums for a while and finally decided to branch into the planted side. I thought I would start simply with a Fluval Edge 6 gallon. I set it up on my desk at my work. Luckily I work at a laboratory so I have access to all the RO water I need and I can do a complete water analysis myself if need be. For livestock I have: 4 raspora, 2 otos, 4 ghost shimp, and 1 snail. I figured I would let them acclimate to the tank before I add many more fish. I am currently using the stock lights and filter system. I usually keep the lights on for as long as I'm at work 8-10 hrs/day. I also added a waterplant C02 diffusion system. It is currently going at about 1 bubble/sec. My pH has been trending between 7.4-7.6. For plants all I have right now is dwarf hairgrass. My questions are these: What can I do to optimize my tank?, What do I need to study/research?, Is there anything I'm doing wrong/how can I change it?

I'm willing to learn and willing to work.
Thanks!
SDRugby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
SDRugby

My tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	49977  

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	49978  

Name:	photo-2.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	49979  

Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
MartyMA
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRugby View Post
This is my first planted tank and I joined this forum hoping for a little help. I've had aquariums for a while and finally decided to branch into the planted side. I thought I would start simply with a Fluval Edge 6 gallon. I set it up on my desk at my work. Luckily I work at a laboratory so I have access to all the RO water I need and I can do a complete water analysis myself if need be. For livestock I have: 4 raspora, 2 otos, 4 ghost shimp, and 1 snail. I figured I would let them acclimate to the tank before I add many more fish. I am currently using the stock lights and filter system. I usually keep the lights on for as long as I'm at work 8-10 hrs/day. I also added a waterplant C02 diffusion system. It is currently going at about 1 bubble/sec. My pH has been trending between 7.4-7.6. For plants all I have right now is dwarf hairgrass. My questions are these: What can I do to optimize my tank?, What do I need to study/research?, Is there anything I'm doing wrong/how can I change it?

I'm willing to learn and willing to work.
Thanks!
As you probably know already, the fluval edge lighting is very low. Only low light plants will thrive. I have anubias and moss in mine. I don't think you can add anymore fish. You are pretty much maxed with what you have right now.
MartyMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Caleb19
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Add some more plants into the mix.
Caleb19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'd separate each of those clumps of DHG into about 15 smaller clumps. You can probably get at around 5 smaller clumps from each one of your current ones. Like someone else said, the lighting is pretty low on those tanks, so it is going to feel like foreverrrrr until you see some growth with the DHG. Also, you can trim the DHG so it's about .5" tall, that will help encourage new runners and growth.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
SDRugby

What would be some good options to increase my lighting? And how bright does it need to be? Are there any specific plants that would thrive in that small of a tank?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRugby View Post
What would be some good options to increase my lighting? And how bright does it need to be? Are there any specific plants that would thrive in that small of a tank?
This might help:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95967

Salty
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.