TPT Bonsai Thread! Show off your collection! - Page 41
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 09-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #601
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
Where are you guys getting these bonsai? Can't find any online websites...
There's a club locally near you, ask them. Why? Because the local clubs will tell you what grows well in your specific region.

You also get to meet and see what they are doing and this helps a lot, then the rest is practice.

Cut cut cut.

Like stem plants, Bonsai need maintained and trimmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #602
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was helping clear out my grandma's basement of old stuff my grandpa left when he passed and found this book.

Anyone got any bonsai books they like to reference or would recommend to a beginner?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #603
jgeanangel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
I was helping clear out my grandma's basement of old stuff my grandpa left when he passed and found this book.

Anyone got any bonsai books they like to reference or would recommend to a beginner?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Yuji Yoshimira's classic "The Art of Bonsai" is an older book that I believe is a very good text for learning the basics of bonsai. For design purposes perhaps John Naka's 2 book series is also good(can't call the name right now and perhaps its out of print but I bet you could find it on ebay).

However, you have opportunity to see a lot of good trees and meet lots of bonsai folks here in just a couple weeks at the Carolina Bonsai Expo in Asheville. This is the 18th annual and it is the bonsai event not to be missed in the Southeast. It is the second weekend in October and is always held at the NC Arboretum. 15 or 16 Clubs from PA to GA come together for a show and display competition. There will be about 10 or more vendors and several demos and workshops over the course of the weekend. Parking is the only expense to get you into the show$8.

There are a number of Columbia folks that drive up for just the day. I will be there all weekend representing my study group and also selling a few trees in the vendors area. Sunday afternoon, I will be teaming up with a good friend and the curator of the bonsai collection to do a short demo. There is also an auction on Sunday afternoon where typically you can find more than a few good deals on trees and supplies.

You can find out more information from the NC arboretum website...a quick google should put you on it in a second.

BTW, Colin Lewis(from your book) was the guest artist at the expo last year. Rodney Clemons will be this year's guest.

Hope to see you there!
John
jgeanangel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #604
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ficus looks georgous. I've had it maybe a week now. Today I got my flowering crown of thorns houseplant in the mail. I got my Swiss Cheese Vine in the mail on Tuesday, biggest leaves are maybe 20", it's a young plant so hopefully in a year or two they'll have doubled. I have an extra special plant coming in soon, this one is quite possibly the mandarin dragonet of the houseplant world. It's flowers scream look at me and it laughs in the face of roses, gardenia, hydrangea, passionflower, lilies, and all others who come before. It's not a bonsai. It's extremely rare and extinct in the wild, I had to fork over 150$ for this particular specimen.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mr.bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #605
Discusdude7
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bigglesworth View Post
Ficus looks georgous. I've had it maybe a week now. Today I got my flowering crown of thorns houseplant in the mail. I got my Swiss Cheese Vine in the mail on Tuesday, biggest leaves are may be 20", it's a young plant so hopefully in a year or two they'll have doubled. I have an extra special plant coming in soon, this one is quite possibly the mandarin dragonet of the houseplant world. It's flowers scream look at me and it laughs in the face of roses, gardenia, hydrangea, passionflower, lilies, and all others who come before. It's not a bonsai. It's extremely rare and extinct in the wild, I had to fork over 150$ for this particular specimen.

What's it called?any pics of ficus?
Discusdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #606
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
What's it called?any pics of ficus?
I don't want to divulge the name. No pics of ficus atm and I'm super ultra mega busy maybe this weekend tho. Dslr pics take hours to display, crappy phone pix tho I could do.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #607
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I never knew there was a bonsai thread

This is my first two bonsais.... I picked three of them up for $25 and kept two while giving one to my other friend.

Do you guys know a good bonsai forum for me to lurk on?
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #608
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ohh I almost forgot. I'll see if I can post some pictures tomorrow of the juniper, ficus, and others.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #609
bassistjon112
Algae Grower

Here is one of mine. I have a few others but no pictures. I only have a picture of this one because it was used in this article, Link. Ill probably repot in a shallow white oval pot and really show case all the new aerial roots it has pot out over the summer.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #610
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

To all the bonsai experts here:

Do bald cypresses (taxodium distichum) or dawn redwood (metasequoia glyptostroboides) lend themselves as good Bonsais? Also, where would I go for more information about Bonsais?
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #611
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1911 View Post

Do bald cypresses (taxodium distichum) or dawn redwood (metasequoia glyptostroboides) lend themselves as good Bonsais? Also, where would I go for more information about Bonsais?
Yes, they are about to lose their leaves.
I trim and wire then. when spring comes around, they put out nice new fresh green leaves.

I water these two species heavily, even more with the BC, I use clay soil and use a very deep moisture tray, trivet so the bottom of the pot is always wet/submersed. Groups or single specimens. DR need trimmed a lot during the growing season.

Finding good BC is not easy though.
Well, unless you live in the SEA US and want to go out looking in a boat etc.
Then you can find awesome stuff.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #612
jgeanangel
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1911 View Post

Bald Cypress certainly does make good material for bonsai...I prefer it to Dawn redwood for the smaller foliage size and easy availability for me. Here are a couple larger specimens from my garden

Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #613
blue1delta
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeanangel View Post
Bald Cypress certainly does make good material for bonsai...I prefer it to Dawn redwood for the smaller foliage size and easy availability for me. Here are a couple larger specimens from my garden

How did you manage to collect such large cypresses? I live in area with lots of swamps and have access to collect cypress, but I can only manage to pull up the smaller ones. Do you use a backhoe and a chainsaw?????
blue1delta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #614
jgeanangel
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1delta View Post
How did you manage to collect such large cypresses? I live in area with lots of swamps and have access to collect cypress, but I can only manage to pull up the smaller ones. Do you use a backhoe and a chainsaw?????
Typically I use a hand saw with a 20" blade and/or a battery powered reciprocating with a 12" pruning blade. It is surprisingly easy and most come out in less than 10 minutes with two people...don't use a shovel...you just severely damage the roots.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #615
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow.. it's been a while. Well a few weeks ago I met up with some bonsai folks, a sensei and apprentice. We chatted about the hobby, had some lemonade. Worked on the juniper, at the end the sensei handed me a big potted maple and asked to come back in 3 weeks to show him what I was able to accomplish with the given characteristics of the tree. That this weekend. I guess I'm an apprentice in training now.. Oh and btw since i last posted I've now also got an illex holly weeping elm two cherry brush a jade inside oh and a big formal cypress. I've learned some interesting terminology, some of it overlaps with aquascaping. Most of them had never worked with aquatic plants I think they seemed pretty interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.