TPT Bonsai Thread! Show off your collection! - Page 21
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #301
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (257/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,454
Default

I think you might be better off finding a good stock selection at a nursery for Red Japanese maples. Few bonsai places seem to carry, them, plenty of tridents though........

You'd have to look for a good one and then do the cutting of the branches.

I saw one I sort of liked, but waited too long to buy, it was gone when I went back. 200$ tree I needed to cut, but it would have made a nice bonsai tree indeed after recovery and the wounds to close.

I know where there are perhaps 20-30 nice pines up in the sierras.
And a few along the coast of CA.

Just have not gone to get them.
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #302
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I think you might be better off finding a good stock selection at a nursery for Red Japanese maples. Few bonsai places seem to carry, them, plenty of tridents though........

You'd have to look for a good one and then do the cutting of the branches.

I saw one I sort of liked, but waited too long to buy, it was gone when I went back. 200$ tree I needed to cut, but it would have made a nice bonsai tree indeed after recovery and the wounds to close.

I know where there are perhaps 20-30 nice pines up in the sierras.
And a few along the coast of CA.

Just have not gone to get them.
Definitely, starting a bonsai from regular nursery stock is most definitely on my list! Red maples they seem to grow our low and wide, not tall with good branching like we like -- I'd really like to do this with a nursery juniper though! Do you think regular nurseries carry the dwarf juniper/ Juniper procumbens 'nana?' Or a Shimpaku?

Wow, I want to see the wild pines! I need to get back to CA soon.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #303
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Unikorn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 426
Default

I started a japanese black pine from seed about 6-8 months ago and it is still pretty small. Any suggestions on helping to encourage it to grow a thicker trunk?
__________________
Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #304
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unikorn View Post
I started a japanese black pine from seed about 6-8 months ago and it is still pretty small. Any suggestions on helping to encourage it to grow a thicker trunk?
Firstly -- pics!

Secondly -- patience.

Or get another tree, maybe 3, to keep you occupied while you wait or this tree to grow out. Seems like that's the secret with this hobby. "Painlesss Patience," I call it.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #305
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Unikorn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 426
Default

__________________
Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #306
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Ooh, yeah, my suggestion is to wait ten years and then regroup

Edit -- Just realized you said in your original post it's only 6-8 months old, grown from seed. You're going to need at least 6-8 years to have a barely-decent JBP. Probably twice that long for something worthwhile.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #307
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Unikorn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 426
Default

That's not too bad at least its within my lifetime I'll just keep on babying it
__________________
Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #308
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

One thing though, for sure -- plant it I the ground instead of that tiny pot. That will help, a lot.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #309
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (257/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,454
Default

The Bonsai nursery has plenty of black pines, they seem to specialize in those more and they are relatively easy to care for.

Many of the larger ones are in yards around here as the local region where I live has the highest Japanese concentration in Sacramento. Japanese markets, bakeries etc, and many yards have them.

the problem is that if you go to most nurseries, they do not have good well trained trees, and it would take 10-20 years to get them to look decent. It's worth while to pay more to get a nice looking tree NOW for the landscape so you can spend the next 10-20 years enjoying the landscape rather than fussing with that tree. Many people in the USA are cheap when it comes to such things. Rock is the same way.

They really do not place a high value on these items for landscaping and care.
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #310
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
The Bonsai nursery has plenty of black pines, they seem to specialize in those more and they are relatively easy to care for.

Many of the larger ones are in yards around here as the local region where I live has the highest Japanese concentration in Sacramento. Japanese markets, bakeries etc, and many yards have them.

the problem is that if you go to most nurseries, they do not have good well trained trees, and it would take 10-20 years to get them to look decent. It's worth while to pay more to get a nice looking tree NOW for the landscape so you can spend the next 10-20 years enjoying the landscape rather than fussing with that tree. Many people in the USA are cheap when it comes to such things. Rock is the same way.

They really do not place a high value on these items for landscaping and care.
I'd love to live in a place with a high Asian population. Cali is certainly the place to be.

I don't think I've seen any JBPs around here, probably because people don't care to buy a pine when we have these stupid huge, tall, skinny, ratty loblolly long needle pines.

I know what you mean, it's really a shame. Very few people put much thought into it, especially if they're building the home themselves people seem to put very little thought/effort/time into it.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #311
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Unikorn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 426
Default

The reason I started from seed is because I wanted to see something I nurtured from seed slowly develop into a tree and something to care for long term. Maybe even hand down within the family.

I definitely want to practice on some nursery stock and such. What do you think about chopping the trunk off of say..some kind of fruit tree and trying to bonsai it?


As far as putting the tiny plant into the ground, I live in an apartment so it would be impossible...maybe a large pot would be more of an option.
__________________
Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #312
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unikorn View Post
The reason I started from seed is because I wanted to see something I nurtured from seed slowly develop into a tree and something to care for long term. Maybe even hand down within the family.

I definitely want to practice on some nursery stock and such. What do you think about chopping the trunk off of say..some kind of fruit tree and trying to bonsai it?


As far as putting the tiny plant into the ground, I live in an apartment so it would be impossible...maybe a large pot would be more of an option.
I see what you mean there, I'm still a kid so it's going to be fun watching these trees as I get older. I'm 16. Someday when I have kids I'll hand my collection down to them (haha, my "collection" will be at least six or seven times larger).

Yeah, nursery stock looks really neat. You could try it, I've seen some neat orange tree bonsai, as well as pomegranates.

I see. A large pot wouldn't be that much different from the ground for an extremely small seeding, I'd say go for it.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #313
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Important question: what do you guys do when it rains? If its' just rain, I tend to leave them out. If it's wind and rain, I go out and get them, even if it's already pouring at that point. But what should I do if it's really pouring? What do you guys do?
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #314
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Unikorn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 426
Default

My bonsai are inside a screened in balcony on the middle shelf of a shelving unit. If its really windy I move the bonsai closer to the door so it doesn't get blown over

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #315
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (257/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,454
Default

Rain means I do not have to water, I leave them out unless there's 50mph wind or more etc.
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012