ADA MINI S(hrimp)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
youknowho
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

ADA MINI S(hrimp)

Setup:
Tank: ADA MINI S
Filter: Eheim 2213
Lighting: 23W CFL in 8.5" shop reflector
CO2: Pressurized
Substrate: Aqua Soil Amazonia

I was doing so well at resisting setting up another tank, really I was. I have my 20g at work and there's not a ton of space in my apartment. I'd talked myself out of setting up a shrimp tank and then something completely unexpected and awesome happened. I won Kevchan's SoCal Tank Giveaway. I couldn't believe it but the opportunity to set up a shrimp tank became a reality, this reality:

The main goal I have for this tank is to make it as visually simplistic as possible. What I mean by this is minimizing the plumbing going into the tank, using clear pipes, an in-line heater, etc. Kevchan did a great job getting this tank going and I really like the rock placement so I'm going to leave it as-is. I've never set up a high-tech tank before and this is going to be a big learning experience. The first thing I need to do is figure out how to keep this HC carpet going...

I could really use your help and suggestions on getting everything set up, especially on the filter, lighting, and CO2. I read through MINI S tank journals and saw that some people are using the Zoo Med 501 canister filter, which I'm open to. For the light I am not going to get the Solar Mini S light because $200 is way too much. I like the Archea LED light but I'm wondering if it will be enough light for a high-tech setup. For CO2 I have a lot to learn since I've never used it, but I do know that the paintball setups are more affordable so that is likely where I'll end up. Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by youknowho; 07-06-2012 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Updated equipment.
youknowho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
youknowho
Planted Member

Not much to update right now, still waiting for the HC carpet to fill in. This feels like watching a bald man's head for new hair growth . Here's the HC in its current state:

This waiting has actually worked out well since I still have to buy 99% of the equipment I'll need for the tank (stand, CO2 setup, light, filter, heater). I've pretty much decided what I'll buy for all of this equipment, just have to actually order everything. I'll be sure to add this info and pics once it's here.

I did notice what looks like some green growth just below the surface of the substrate. It's a little hard to see in this picture but it's there:

I'm surprised because I've only sprayed water in the tank once one week ago so it shouldn't be too wet. I've been shining a 13W 6500K CFL on the tank for 8 hrs/day. I may upgrade this to a 26W CFL. Is this green growth harmless or is it something I need to take care of before filling the tank?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

The growth maybe cyanobacteria. It may go away when you flood or not. I have some in my substrate and it has not caused issues yet but may in the future. you will need some one who knows more about it to chime in.

Great looking scape.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Kevchan
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Glad to see the tank filling in. Hope it's bringing you some enjoyment
Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
youknowho
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevchan View Post
Glad to see the tank filling in. Hope it's bringing you some enjoyment
Definitely! Make it to Japan ok?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Kevchan
Planted Member

Yeah I got to japan on the 17th and have been in a hotel. Just looking for a house now
Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

The HC looks great! I'm not sure that you need to wait for it to fill in further because it looks pretty happy now. But if you can keep it that healthy and green emersed, then it won't hurt to wait until you have everything ready. A potential benefit to letting it grow emersed for longer than usual is that you won't have as big of an algae problem when you do eventually flood it.

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
youknowho
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueenesq View Post
The HC looks great! I'm not sure that you need to wait for it to fill in further because it looks pretty happy now. But if you can keep it that healthy and green emersed, then it won't hurt to wait until you have everything ready. A potential benefit to letting it grow emersed for longer than usual is that you won't have as big of an algae problem when you do eventually flood it.
Thanks! The HC continues to fill in after a slight delay. I was running a 23W CFL over the tank for 8 hrs a day but it looks like it was too strong and some of the HC started yellowing. All that heat was also drying things out a bit too much. I stopped using the light and the HC appears to be recovering. I'm tempted to let it fill in completely to minimize the amount of substrate that gets kicked up when flooding, we'll see how patient I can be .

I received all of the equipment for this tank and hooked it up for a test run last night:

The subtitle for this image is "It's a good thing my wife is out of town right now". Everything ran great for the 1.5 hrs I had it going. I'm glad I leak tested the CO2 system before setting this all up, because when the in-line diffuser is running it sounds like a CO2 leak! I would've driven myself crazy checking the equipment for a leak that wasn't there.

I was curious to see how often the Hydor heater would click on/off since I'd read posts here of people saying it could happen frequently on a smaller tank and wear out the heater faster. With the 5g bucket and the temp set to 76F the heater only clicked on once per hour, and for less than 5 minutes each time. Not bad at all. The temp stayed super stable too. Can't wait to flood this tank!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Quentin
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Did you end up getting that LED light? I've been eyeing them but not sure if they will be powerful enough.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
youknowho
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Did you end up getting that LED light? I've been eyeing them but not sure if they will be powerful enough.
I still have to get a light but it won't be that one. From what I've read the Archaea LED light isn't enough for high light plants like the HC. It's a shame, I really like the minimalistic design of it.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Cardinal's Keeper
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowho View Post
I received all of the equipment for this tank and hooked it up for a test run last night:

The subtitle for this image is "It's a good thing my wife is out of town right now". Everything ran great for the 1.5 hrs I had it going. I'm glad I leak tested the CO2 system before setting this all up, because when the in-line diffuser is running it sounds like a CO2 leak! I would've driven myself crazy checking the equipment for a leak that wasn't there.

I was curious to see how often the Hydor heater would click on/off since I'd read posts here of people saying it could happen frequently on a smaller tank and wear out the heater faster. With the 5g bucket and the temp set to 76F the heater only clicked on once per hour, and for less than 5 minutes each time. Not bad at all. The temp stayed super stable too. Can't wait to flood this tank!
Nice!! Ya my kitchen regular looks like that and worse, then at about 6:00pm its a mad dash for 15 mins before the wife comes home!! hahaha

Glad it all worked out. Did you think about putting the diffuser before the heater though? Longer run to dissolve the mist prior to entry in the tank. But either way is fine
Cardinal's Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
youknowho
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal's Keeper View Post
Nice!! Ya my kitchen regular looks like that and worse, then at about 6:00pm its a mad dash for 15 mins before the wife comes home!! hahaha

Glad it all worked out. Did you think about putting the diffuser before the heater though? Longer run to dissolve the mist prior to entry in the tank. But either way is fine
Haha that's the way it goes. I decided to run the diffuser after the heater for a couple of reasons. I only want water passing through the heater, and the foot of tubing I give up in the diffused CO2 run shouldn't make much of a difference. I had to watch the tubing after the diffuser very closely to see any bubbles at all, looks like it's doing its job.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
Kevchan
Planted Member

sweet set up you got going. I can't wait to see how the tank is turning out
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
youknowho
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevchan View Post
sweet set up you got going. I can't wait to see how the tank is turning out
Thanks! I ended up going with a dual stage reg over the paintball ASA setup for peace of mind. Then I realized it wasn't going to fit in the cabinet with the paintball tank you gave me so I got a new tank as well. A few more realizations later and I've gone WAY over my original budget. That's the way it goes. Hope all's well in the Far East!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
youknowho
Planted Member

Last night I finished hooking everything up and filled the tank!

I'm using a 23W CFL until I find a light that I like and can support the HC. It may be a little strong; I already see some spots of green mat algae that started forming before filling. Here's the rest of the equipment and plumbing:

Soon after firing up the CO2 the HC started to pearl:

Amazingly snails survived in the soil this entire time and appeared after the fill. You can see one on the big rock in the next-to-last picture. Now it's the looong wait for cycling to finish before introducing some shrimp .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.