am i overstocked?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Racie_Gracy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

am i overstocked?

am i overstocked? or how much room have i got left?

55gallon, 5x water turnover rate from 2 hob filters.

heavily planted.

so ive got 3x boesmani rainbows,
2x banded rainbows,
3x ottos
4x zebra danios
2x long finned angelfish
and 1x neon gourami....

all of these are juvenile at the moment, but i know they will get much bigger. i know i must be close to my stocking limit, but i just wanted the opinion of someine else! cheers for any replies
Racie_Gracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Mike1239
Planted Member

Yes you are over stocked when those angels get bigger put them in a 29 gal or a 40 tall if you can find it
Mike1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
CatSoup
Planted Member

I don't know how big rainbows are, but it should be fine if they are about the same size as danios. Any bigger may be pushing it.
CatSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
CatSoup
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1239 View Post
Yes you are over stocked when those angels get bigger put them in a 29 gal or a 40 tall if you can find it
I actually think 29 gallons would be small for two angels. Especially when they start getting aggressive.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSoup View Post
I actually think 29 gallons would be small for two angels. Especially when they start getting aggressive.
Depends on the type of angels. We have a member on HFB that has two angels along with a few GBR in a 29 and they get along fine.
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
CatSoup
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
Depends on the type of angels. We have a member on HFB that has two angels along with a few GBR in a 29 and they get along fine.
I wish mine would. I have 4 semi juvenile koi angels in my 55, and the 2 biggest are constantly at each other. I'm seriously considering removing the one who's being victimized. I think if I remove the aggressor, another will take his place.

PS, what is HFB, and GBR?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
I wish mine would. I have 4 semi juvenile koi angels in my 55, and the 2 biggest are constantly at each other. I'm seriously considering removing the one who's being victimized. I think if I remove the aggressor, another will take his place.

GBR is probably German Blue Ram. That's how I always say it, anyways.
Adri. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Overstocked is often as much a state of mind as it is physical. Crowded fish will often only grow to the limit of the tank. If that bothers you, you may need to change at some point. What is done when plants are growing too large for their space? Some are removed. Why should we look at fish any differently? Very few tanks are ever finished so that they run without changes. As time goes by, you may find some of the fish don't work together and you may want to move some out. On the other hand, you may find the limit to be how much work it takes to maintain a group of fish. Either way it is a work in progress which may need to be adjusted. At this point, is there any problem with the tank? If so, adjust. If not, enjoy.

HFB- Houston fish box, maybe?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I do not see that as overstocked for a 55 gallon tank.

I see three problems, all with the same fish:
I think the Angels will eat the Zebra Danios if they can catch them, but sometimes Angels that grow up with small fish do not see them as prey.

The small number of the Danios may make them turn into pests, nipping or harassing the other fish.

Zebra Danios are cool water, fast moving water fish. Angels and Gouramis are slow moving, warm water fish. Boes are fine at the warm water that Angels and Gouramis like, though it is at the top of their range. They will probably find the faster moving water because it is likely better oxygenated. Banded Rainbows accept a very wide range of conditions and will also be fine with Angels and Gouramis.

The Angels may pair up, (Are they old enough to sex yet? They pair up M+F or sometimes F+F) but the others will probably respect their territory. Angels do not usually claim space high enough to worry the Gourami.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

At some point, some of the fish will likely begin to become a problem. It may be the angels chasing food or smaller fish making the angels nervous when they come up near those big trailing fins. But if one does go into panic mode before there is a problem, what is likely to happen?
One can try to foresee all problems, worry and sweat and make some changes which they want to do. They can make changes and not get it exactly right and have to make changes again. Either way they will lose a lot of the fun of having a tank.
A tank is meant to be fun. part of the fun is learning about our fish. Watching, learning and then when we do know trouble when we see it, changing a few things is far better than constantly changing and keeping the fish in turmoil. I've been doing this a long time and there is one thing I can not do. I can't say what a fish will do in any given circumstance. So I wait and watch and the fish will give me signs of what may happen in the future. But in the present I enjoy watching my fish.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
shrimpedout
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1239 View Post
Wait WHAT? Am I reading this right??

You're telling him to downgrade to a 29 from a 55 to make MORE room?

---
Get shrimped out!
shrimpedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Mike1239
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpedout View Post
Wait WHAT? Am I reading this right??

You're telling him to downgrade to a 29 from a 55 to make MORE room?

---
Get shrimped out!
No I'm saying get another tank for the angels. So there would be a 55 and 29
Mike1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
shrimpedout
Planted Member

Ok sorry i misunderstood. Just real sleepy today :/

---
Get shrimped out!
shrimpedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:

Possible. I've never kept angels so I'm not much use. HFB - Houston Fish Box. GBR - German Blue Ram

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote