Finnex FugeRay Product Review - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #31
Flyin Hawaiian
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Please excuse my ignorance. But can you direct me to the source links for the 12" Ray 2 light fixture. After about 30 mins of searching all I come up with is info on the 12" FugeRay.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #32
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Please excuse my ignorance. But can you direct me to the source links for the 12" Ray 2 light fixture. After about 30 mins of searching all I come up with is info on the 12" FugeRay.
Oh, you didn't say Ray2. There is no such fixture.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
Flyin Hawaiian
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
The fugeRay has significantly less LEDs. When I say light output, I'm focusing on PAR values. The FugeRays are indeed shorter fixtures, feature less LEDs, and in turn carry a lower wattage as well. Our sample 12" Fugeray/Ray ii had these readings 10" from substrate to light:

12" FugeRay Sample: 38-42 μmol/m2/s at base
12" Ray 2 Sample: 92-102 μmol/m2/s at base
Ahhh, that explains it. Thanks Sam! The post by Lowe was misleading. Well at least to me it was
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
qxz06090
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If I have two of those led on my 7.5g tank with co2 and ferts, am i able to keep HC?
qxz06090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #35
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qxz06090 View Post
If I have two of those led on my 7.5g tank with co2 and ferts, am i able to keep HC?
Should be no problem at all.

Two fixtures doesn't exactly 'double' the PAR at the substrate (overlap issues, light spread, etc.) but on such a small tank it should put you in the ballpark of doubling it I guess.

One fixture is a little on the low end for what people tend to like for HC but two should be more than enough, IMO.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #36
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I cant tell from the pictures, but does the light or legs overhang the side of the tank? I am envisioning putting two 30-C's side by side on a 20H tank stand. This would mean that there would really be no space between the two tanks whatsoever, so if the light overhangs they wouldn't really work. I was planning on using a FugeRay one each tank, mainly because 2 of them are cheaper than a single 24" Ray II, and I want medium rather than high light.

I suppose I could set them front to back rather than side to side, though I don't know if that would be aesthetically pleasing.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #37
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Sam - How about an update on the plants?

I just tire my Finnex down. I'm going to lay a new floor in my Home office. I'm think yjois will be the might when I set-up after the remod.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #38
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Any updates on the growth of this tank with this lighting?
Would love to see some new pics.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #39
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Am interested in seeing the state of this tank too!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #40
ramen lover
Planted Member

Do you know if the legs on these models are adjustable?

im thinking of buying a 6g from GLA.. it's 15" long.. and the closest Finnex FugeRay is 16" long. If the light is 1" longer than my tank, I'm not sure if it'll fit it.
ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen lover View Post
Do you know if the legs on these models are adjustable?

im thinking of buying a 6g from GLA.. it's 15" long.. and the closest Finnex FugeRay is 16" long. If the light is 1" longer than my tank, I'm not sure if it'll fit it.
The legs are totally adjsutable, you can adjust it all the way to 2"s if you can balance it well lol.
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #42
ramen lover
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobystanton View Post
The legs are totally adjsutable, you can adjust it all the way to 2"s if you can balance it well lol.
Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #43
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone have info on Finnex ray 2 LED light fixture.

I am looking to use LEDs in either a 75 gal or a 55 gal
Measurement to substrate is either 15 or 22 inches

I do not want a high light tank, middle to low is my preference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
ramen lover
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
First let me start with a disclaimer: This is not a review of my experience, positive or negative, with Finnex as a company. This is a review of a product i currently own and have experience with, and does not reflect on Finnex or their other products.
------------------------------
Now that that's over, lets get on with it. I purchased this fixture after a member in this thread pointed it out. "LED fixture that gives out medium light and only costs $40 shipped? Sign me up!" i said. Ordered it Tuesday and to my surprise here it is at 10:30am Friday morning. After getting it out of it's cardboard shipping box, this is revealed:
Attachment 46015Attachment 46016
Pretty standard packaging, nothing special. Fairly well protected for shipping with the bubble wrap and foam padding.

Here it is all unboxed and laid out for your viewing pleasure:
Attachment 46017
No extra frills or crap; just a light, some legs, and a power cord. I like the power cord with the supply inline instead of at the plug, makes it so that big power supply isn't in the way of other things plugging in. The cord is a little short though (~3.5ft), not a problem for me but it might be for people with taller stands.

Putting it together was pretty straightforward. The legs just fit into two grooves that run the entire body of the fixture. No screws or fasteners to mess with, just slip it in and friction takes care of the rest. Nice way to do it. All put together:
Attachment 46018

Putting it on the tank was also very straightforward. Slide the legs to adjust for tank width and set it on the rim. The light has a switch on each end, one controls the white emmiters, and one controls the blues. This allows for moonlight after the photo period. The luttle extra blue kick is nice when the whites are on during photoperiod as well, brings out colors nicely. Tank shot with full lights on (12"x12"x12" rimless cube @ 7.5 gallons):
Attachment 46019
And moonlights only:
Attachment 46020
My only complaint about this fixture is the moonlights. They're the perfect intensity for nighttime, but they're blue. Moonlight isn't blue. This is my big gripe with almost all moonlighting on the market today, blue just looks fake.

Other than the moonlight issue though, the light is a good one. Color rendition is great, fit and finish are great. Couldn't do better for $40 bucks shipped. We shall see how it grows the plants, maybe i can put in a Marsilea quadrifolia carpet in this thing finally? The website states that this puts out 38-42 PAR at 10" from the source, which is right in medium light. Time will tell.
what canister filter is that? i love your set up by the way. i just got a GLA rimless tank and im looking to get this lighting system and looking for a decent, but not too expensive canister filter
Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #45
R.C.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like a ZooMed or Eden 501.
R.C. is offline   Reply With Quote