Syringe Dosing Concerns?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Shank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

Syringe Dosing Concerns?

I have been designing a simple solution to manually drawing out exact measurements of additives to dose every day. Basically, I will have 4 syringes of additives, and a 5th large syringe of H2O all in line, as in I will have them all connected to a main tube to dose directly into the tank in the outflow of the filter. By the way, the water is to flush out additives still in the tube after dosing the exact amount.

This all sounds fine, until I mention that the syringes are plastic. I plan to keep a week's dosage in them, and I am concerned about the additives reacting with the plastic. I don't think that potassium, iron, phosphorous, or micros will react, but I am also dosing Excel, which according to the bottle is polycycloglutaracetal, a derivative of glutaraldehyde.
In my organic chemistry lab we used plastic pipettes and funnels, but the compounds only came in contact with these for a short period of time.
I am concerned that leaving Excel in a plastic syringe for an extended amount of time may deteriorate the plastic or introduce contaminants from the plastic into the tank.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Shank
Algae Grower

Now that I think about it, it IS stored in a plastic bottle...
Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I use just one syringe to dose all the products.

I dose macros one day, micros the next.
These are stored in plastic jugs, not the syringe.

I actually have several syringes, many sizes, so I dose larger tanks with the larger syringe (really, it is a turkey baster) and smaller tanks with a smaller syringe.

I rinse the syringe (turkey baster) in tap water when I am done. It air dries overnight. If not, I suppose that messes with the dosing. The amount of problem is so little I do not care. What is a drop or two of water in 150 ml of diluted fertilizer? (the dose for my big tank)
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diy, dosing, excel, fertilizer, syringe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.