Dario Hysginon Breeding Log: FRY!!!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Dario Hysginon Breeding Log: FRY!!!!!

broodstock:

2.3.1 with one main dominate male and a smaller secondary male.

Tank: 75g, eheim pro 3 160, 4x54watt t5 HO 14" above water with two bulbs running majority of the day. Playing with light cycle and Co2 to reduce thread algae outbreak.

Tank mates:
otos (orange head zebra and normal)
chili rasbora
0.0.2 Coral Red Pencil fish
3 micro crabs
handfull of pygmy cories
amano and cherry shrimp.
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log

Last edited by D3monic; 05-14-2012 at 10:16 PM..
D3monic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Several days ago Dominate male led the group around in what I assumed was a search for a suitable laying site. When ever fish got close he would chase them off. Every once in a while he would do a dance for a female.

One day later he is feverishly defending a area that leads to a cave under the stump on the left. He will not let any of the fish near not even the females.

You can notice the intense coloration as well (sorry not the best pics)

They very much remind me of peacock bass especially when displaying.

I can't get a visual on the nest but fingers crossed to see some little fry swimming about in the next few days. If on future nests I can intercept the eggs i will transfer to a rearing tub for better documentation and survival rates.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

pretty little fish! I love Dario, Hope to keep them again sometime in the future.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are pretty sweet, I wanted to breed dario dario not Dario H. but I was sent these by accident instead of some CPD's...and of course now msjnxzed has dario dario. Ohh well. these guys are pretty neat as well.
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Gorgeous tank, love the background!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Gorgeous tank, love the background!
+1, beautiful.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Neoman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your tank looks awesome, and im really interested in this breeding journal, would love to see how many of these guys you could end up raising in a tank that big. I was always impressed with your frog tanks on dendroboard, never thought you'd take the planted route.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
mubender
Crustacean Cop

PTrader: (17/100%)

Lol, yeah you got my darios and i got your cpd's....just hoping i can get smore of those darios before long
mubender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry mubender, it put a kink in my peaceful tank since these guys are predatory hunters but they are neat additions. She's got the scarlet badis in right now, you should jump on those. Much better coloration.

Hows the CPD's doing? I originally planed on breeding them and the chili rasbora but I am sure the dario will eat any of their fry.
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 04-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Dario are smart little fish, I Like the looks of these little guys. Are they similar in size to the scalets? One of our LFS's tends to stock several species of badis, I want them badly lol but my tank would not allow it.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #11
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

I managed to get a few short crappy spawning video's today. Sorry for quality I wasn't expecting a spawn.

Dario Hysginon spawning!

Dario Hysginon spawning take 2

I had just done a 20 gal water change, the fresh cold water must of got them going.

btw why on earth don't we have youtube embedding?!?
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #12
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

lol, she looked a little confused in that first video
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
lol, she looked a little confused in that first video
lol, yea she did
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nothing overly new to share, I set up a breeding tank for them and have managed to move two of the males but so far have been unable to catch any females. They are very timid paranoid little things. So used to the males chasing them (and now me) that they dart the second they see you approach the tank. One of them has either a really small infected bite or ick (its small white and looks like a tiny puff ball) I really want to get her out and treat before she transfers it to any other fish. The way the males nip at them I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a bite. Either way I want her treated.

I haven't spotted any fry from the two to three spawns that occurred in the 75gal. Eggs could of been eaten, maybe by dad.
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Dario are currently spawning in both the 75gal and the 10gal. Figures, I tried to grab my camera for a video and the battery is dead
Canon Pimp Club #019