Albuquerque - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Mexico

Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
dwarfgourami
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Albuquerque

I think it would be fantastic to find a weekend when we can all meet and then start up a club. June sometime maybe?
dwarfgourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
dwarfgourami
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Albuquerque Store

Is there a great store in Albuquerque where the advice is great/educated AND the price is decent? I've gone to Clark's on Lomas for years but the prices sometimes are really out there.
dwarfgourami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
skywhitney
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'd be interested in meeting up sometime in June.

Good education AND fair pricing...have yet to find that place

Along those lines, I stopped by Fins N' Critters about a week ago and my heart just sank. I remember when they used to be a good pet store :-(. Most of the animals i saw, aquatic or not, had some sort of health issue going on.

Has anyone checked put Petland on Paseo? Any good?
Fluval Pimp #41
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #19
Mr.Desert_scape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would defintely be interested in try to meet up in June as well! We'll just have to get it figured out and make it happen.

Yeah I would say if you looking for good educated people it would be in the forum and not in our crappy LFS. I feel like this place and finding things on internet fish shops is the best bang for the buck.

Yeah I went to Fins N' Critters a couple weeks ago as well and it was one of the most sorry pet shops now. =l It was super disappointing that it is going so downhill. The fish section when I went was pretty much non existent.

No I actually passed that place the other day and really wanted to go in but didn't have the time. It looks a bit promising though. Hopefully its not just another petsmart/petco. I have heard a few good things about west side pets but haven't been in there in a few years so I could really vouch for it.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
skywhitney
Algae Grower

I stopped by Petland today...its a good store if you like Ich in your tanks. If you don't mind treating a new fish in QT for a while then they actually did have some pretty good looking fish. The employee i talked to told me to keep a betta in a vase with a plant cause they'll eat the roots and live a long happy life. I had no words, i just walked away. What plants they did have were spread throughout their tanks so those are infected as well.

My opinion: just another Petsmart/Petco
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #21
skywhitney
Algae Grower

My votes for dates in June would be the 2nd/3rd or 23rd/24th. Either of those work for anyone else?
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #22
Mr.Desert_scape
Algae Grower

I would say we should shoot for either the 23rd/24th. I'll most likely be in the process of moving on the first.... =p

That's disappointing about petland though. I wish there pet stores would get some knowledgeable people in their fish sections. The last time I went into clarks they had a guy working in their fish section that had never even had a tank before let alone worked with fish... If their was a good enough market here I would totally be tempted to open up a fish shop here.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #23
skywhitney
Algae Grower

Lets plan for the weekend of the 23/24 then! Thats plenty of notice for people to arrange their schedules.

Haha i've talked to my wife about opening one too. But like you said, there's just no market :-/
The few people i deal with at clark probably getannoyed with me cause i'll ask a million questions then get my fish elsewhere cause their prices are insane. They wanted $40 for a German Blue Ram where i can go up the street and get one from Petco for $3.99...
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #24
Mr.Desert_scape
Algae Grower

Sounds good to me!

Who knows, we may just have to get together and steal all these pet stores business. haha I know right?! I got 2 angels at petsmart for the price I payed for one at clarks. I didn't know clarks charged so much for rams. That's insane!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #25
skywhitney
Algae Grower

What area of town are you in? I'm in the NE heights/foothills.

We might have to take some business from them! Lol. The crazy part is that Clark's sells them. I have no idea how but they get their asking price. I just want to say that this is by no means a slam on the aquatic employees there, a lot of them are incredibly knowledgable and have helped me a ton for which i am very grateful. I just don't like the prices lol
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
Mr.Desert_scape
Algae Grower

I am about in the same area. I'm off tramway and copper. soon to be off tramway and lomas. lol

I think it would be awesome to try! and wouldn't be that hard to take the real fish hobbyist buisness from them. lol I saw this lady and her husband go into pet smart a few days ago and get like 8 -10 fish for a new tank and the guy helping them didn't even say anything.... Yeah I don't care for their prices at all either, the only thing that is a bit cheaper at clarks that I have found was excel when I was using it.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
skywhitney
Algae Grower

haha i'm at Tramway and Lomas as well!

People in the stores kill me with their lack of caring about the animals well-being once they leave the store. I don't think i could ever work for one of the big name pet stores.
Fluval Pimp #41

Last edited by skywhitney; 05-18-2012 at 03:26 AM..
Old 05-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #28
Mr.Desert_scape
Algae Grower

That should make it easy to meet up then! Haha maybe once I get moved and everything set up we can try and meet up. Maybe trade some clippings? Hopefully everyone else is fairly close by.

The only reason I would want to work there is to be able to give people some quality fish info and hopefully not get fired from detouring people from making mistakes. Haha
Old 05-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #29
skywhitney
Algae Grower

Absolutely! Hey if you're thinking or thought about new driftwood i'm going to be finding some local Gambels Oak that can be used. If you are interested in helping out let me know!

I'd be good with trading some clippings. I have a number of new plants coming this week as well. I'll let you know when i get them to the point of trimming. My available time to meet up is going to be limited since the summer semester starts today but i'll fit a get together into my schedule for sure.
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #30
Mr.Desert_scape
Algae Grower

Yeah I would definitely be interested in helping out. Are you just going to go down to the Rio Grande?

Sounds good to me! Most of my plants are starting to get out of control so I'm ready to trade when you are. Haha. Yeah I'm starting the summer semester in about 2 weeks but weekends in the evening are usually good.