Achieving Medium Lighting on 7.5g Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Lludu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Achieving Medium Lighting on 7.5g Cube

So I'm setting up a shrimp breeding cube and I'm looking for a light that will be medium range to grow plants decently without being to High of light as well. I need the max at medium so I wont have to run Co2 in this tank because of breeding the shrimp.

I was looking at one of these three lights, and was curious on if anyone has an idea of what range of light they can achieve in my tank, and I am very interested in the FugeRay because of the sleek design... anyone have any idea on that light?

Finnex FugeRay 12"
Finnex 13w Refugium Nano
Archaea 27w PC Clamp

This is listed on the FugeRay website:

Par Value
12" FugeRay: 38-42 μmol/m2/s at base 10" deep

Not sure how much light that is I have no idea on Par Values...
Lludu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

I use an Ecoxotic Ecopico with two strips for medium light on my 7.5 shrimp cube. Gotta love that shimmer!

Thatn fugeray looks like it would be perfect for what you want though. Par values state 38-42 PAR at 10", so low-medium light. Color looks good too. I'm actually going to order one of those this minute and test it out. That is extremely cheap for what looks like a pretty good quality light.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Lludu
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
I use an Ecoxotic Ecopico with two strips for medium light on my 7.5 shrimp cube. Gotta love that shimmer!

Thatn fugeray looks like it would be perfect for what you want though. Par values state 38-42 PAR at 10", so low-medium light. Color looks good too. I'm actually going to order one of those this minute and test it out. That is extremely cheap for what looks like a pretty good quality light.
Yeah... Its cheap, its slim, and I think it will do good on lighting for what I want to do... without causing the need for Co2... I do like the EcoPico ones as well... Please let me know what you think of the FugeRay if/when you get it.

and its only 5 bucks to ship (to where I am)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Lludu
Planted Member

Also... can I just say Sam... every time I see you post... out of the corner of my eye I see your avatar... however... from that quick glance... I never see a Pirate with a Beer... I see This:

Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

LOL! It's the Samuel Adams logo with Captain Morgan's head. My full name is Samuel Adam Morgan. My and my initials are...yeah :p I thought the picture fit. Though the grumpy one probably would too, I have a feeling i come off as pretty grumpy on these forums, but it's actually just a low tolerance for lazy people.

I'll definately let you know what I think about the fixture. $40.99 for an LED fixture that provides that level of light with built in moonlights is unheard of. They might as well be giving them away. I couldnt DIY for less than that.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Lludu
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
LOL! It's the Samuel Adams logo with Captain Morgan's head. My full name is Samuel Adam Morgan. My and my initials are...yeah :p I thought the picture fit. Though the grumpy one probably would too, I have a feeling i come off as pretty grumpy on these forums, but it's actually just a low tolerance for lazy people.

I'll definately let you know what I think about the fixture. $40.99 for an LED fixture that provides that level of light with built in moonlights is unheard of. They might as well be giving them away. I couldnt DIY for less than that.

I figured it was the Sam Adams guy. Also on the light fixture... I'm not one that knows a lot about LEDs but for that size the price seemed incredible... I was worried about the quality being very crappy... but made by finnex... that seems that it would be good.. so yes, please let me know. For now its on my list of crap I need to get.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

I think the reason they can keep the price down is that they aren't using ultra powerful super high output LEDs. They chose to go the large array route instead. High power LEDs cost more to manufacture and the drivers cost more, plus they have to have much larger heatsinks. But this also isn't one of those rinky-dink 5mm led arrays. It uses SMD chips instead, which are much better.

I am seeing what looks like a quality light by the pictures of their construction. Every seam and piece looks well machined and put together. The two other clues for me was them actually listing what LED they are using, and the actual PAR values for the fixture. A very small handful of manufacturers give this information without prompting and even then some still won't.

When it arrives i will be sure to do a full review with close up pictures of construction quality and tank pics. I might even take it apart to see how well they put together the internals.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Lludu
Planted Member

ah that makes sense, especially when you compare it to the ecopico lights with what..3 leds (I'm assuming the high output ones). Still though, I dont mind small output, large awesome, small price....

Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Well they're just going about it a different way. These are 0.6 watt LEDs. The ones that the ecopico uses i believe are 1 watt (i'm assuming here because my panorama fixture uses 1 watt leds and they look the same). The power difference in output isn't linear either, more like exponential. This is highly illustrated by the heatsink. A 0.6 watt LED doesn't really need a heatsink at all, they PCB they're attached to is sufficient to cool them. The 1 watts however need to be mounted to a bit of aluminum flat bar to cool them down. A 3 watt needs a much larger heatsink prefferably with cooling fins or forced air cooling.

It doesn't really matter what type you use though. The comparison is this array uses 48 leds to acoomplish what the ecopico can do with 6. It looks like they're underdriving these though, and running them at 0.1 watt. If we wanted medium light with 3 watt emmiters i would guess 3 would be plenty. Could probably get by with just 2 3 watt emmiters. Hell if it was a CREE XM-L driven to full range one would do easily.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Arrived today and i did a product review. Look here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ml#post1828591

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.