Where Has My Iron Gone
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-24-2003, 07:17 AM   #1
nicodemus99

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nicodemus99

I dose my 120g tank with Flourish Iron, among other things, and test constantly to monitor my parameters. For some reason, iron will never stay in the system; 12 hours after putting in 30 ml (twice the recommended dosage), my iron test shows the level to be 0.0 ppm). So I put in 30 ml more, and the next day the level is 0 again. Could my plants possibly be using up all this iron? I'm keeping amazon swords and some java moss. I know the test kit works, because the iron shows up if I test immediately after dosing. My substrate is mostly gravel, with some fluorite mixed in. I have a bunch of driftwood in there, no carbon, a little green spot algae on the glass. What's going on? Should I continue dosing up to 60 ml of Flourish Iron per day?
nicodemus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hobby-level iron test kits are notoriously poor, though I have the Seachem Multitest kit and believe it to be fairly accurate. What test kit are you using, and are you allowing half an hour or so for the reagent to react with the chelated iron? How much light do you have?
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:18 PM   #3
nicodemus99

Send a message via AIM to nicodemus99

I'm using a Hagen test kit. I do wait half an hour for the color to show, and like I said the test will pick up the iron if I test right after I dose the tank. My lights are a mix, I've got a 55w compact fluoro, 36w compact, and 4 20w fluoro overdriven with 2 100w ballasts. I only have half of the tank planted.
nicodemus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:58 AM   #4
Fishspanker

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishspanker

I have the very same issue with my Red Sea test kit (it claims to be for chealated iron)...I am beginning to doubt its accuracy as well. Can anyone reccommend an affordable and accurate iron test kit (a link to an online retailer would be greatly appreciated.

Or perhaps a tank could be consume that much iron? I would appreciate some input from others as well.
Fishspanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:46 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

A word of advice. Forget about testing for Iron. Even the LaMotte kit is not that accurate or reliable. Just dose the tank and watch the plants. Are the red plants red? Are the plants healthy? If so you have nothing to worry about.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #6
general1107
Algae Grower

Carbon in your filters removes iron from the water which is why I use purigan since its not suppose to.
general1107 is offline   Reply With Quote