the planted bowl...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
tws
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

the planted bowl...

Greetings planted tank folks,

i hope to began a large bowl/fountain aquascaping project this summer. you can see my setup so far in the attached pictures. the bowl is of Vietnamese descent Mekong delta clay. and will hold i am guessing between 20 to 25 gallons. i have an eheim 2232 filter pump. additionally i have mounted a strip bar of electrical plugin outlets that can each be individually turned off or on. i also have a goose neck halogen light to direct over the bowl. i shall mount a large circular/arc shelf just slightly above the bowl (not yet built in these images). the shelf will mirror the curve of the bowl and be used to attach moon lights on the underside and plants and possibly a spill device to achieve a diminutive waterfall.

as you can see this bowl fountain green/scape shall serve as a small tea nook in my dinning room. i am trying to achieve a solid three dimensional corner of green plants big and small with the bowl being the central part.

i've been doing a bit of reading on the complexities of aquascaping and hope to get some pointers and advice from this forum being populated as it is with advanced and expert scapers.

this is such a daunting project that i want to be sure all the setup steps are properly preformed and that nothing is left undone. the first thing it seems will be determining the type of substrate; what anti bacterial or bacterial materials to add what levels of substrate and what rocks i might want to build into the scape.

you input is welcomed.

tws
tws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
iRun
Algae Grower

Not totally sure what end product you've envisioned but I think there are some cool possibilities.

Are you growing submerged or emersed plants?

People are going to need some more detailed information about your lighting, but it looks like you are probably getting some good natural light.

Its hard to say without measured dimensions, but I don't think you have 20+ gallons, which only matters if you are stocking with fauna.

Are you planning on stocking with fauna?

Substrate: Have you considered miracle grow organic soil/potting soil? A quick search of this forum will show you lots of people doing that.

You mentioned a possible fountain, maybe a little more details about how that would work.

Your comments about bacterial/antibacterial...If you are having animals, the water will need to be properly cycled to handle ammonia. That will be taken care of to a certain extent by the plants but largely by the biofilter media in your filter. I wouldn't suggest using any "antibacterial" agents with plants or animals.

Its possible your filter may be a little oversized, but that depends on the actual dimensions/capacity of the bowl.

Cheers!
iRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
tws
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply iRun,

yes i've left out a lot of pertinent details.

i'd like to grow submerged plants; perhaps grasses, moss on some rocks ferns all grown on a rock strewn substrate. i think most folks may see this project as a loss since one can not easily see (as thru an aquarium) the submerged plant scape. but i think it would be nice just to look down into an aquascape.

i get a huge amount of late afternoon sun through a rather large dinning room window. the indoor house plants have thrived for over a year in this position.

you may be right about the bowl volume. i'll have to fill it to get an accurate measure. maybe more like 10 to 15 gallons.

i wouldn't mind adding some kind of hearty shrimp well after plants are established and the water has balanced/cycled itself. additionally i have a small aquarium heater if it were necessary to keep the water at a certain warm temp. but would rather just have an ambient temp fresh water system.

i will check out the threads on miracle grow organic soil. i am hoping my ehiem 2232 filter will handle all filtration. i can only hope it will accommodate bio filter media. a little unsure at this point how that works i also have a CO2 canister that works by adding sugar i think to a water solution and it lasts for several weeks before needing refilling.

i will mount a - water proof material - circular shelf just above the bowl (bracketed against the two corners of the wall) upon which i can set additional plants, maybe bonsai tree, orchids etc. on the underside of this shelf i will attach some moon lights that make a pleasant and not overpower night light source.

finally, a fountain is not absolute but would be very easy to mount on the shelf i just described. something small low volume, just a trickle of water for an audible effect.

here is my rather haphazard living room fountain.

thanks for your feedback.

tws
Old 04-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
tws
Algae Grower

wow... reply to meself...

i just found Frank Wazeter post 'How to Master Planted Tanks Journal'

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...lenge-how.html

looks like an excellent place to began.

tws
Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
iRun
Algae Grower

You could try low light plants with the ambient room light, but you may need to supplement. A lot of people just use desk or clamp lights with 5000 or 6500k CFL bulbs. You don't have the benefit of light going through the sides so all the light has to penetrate from above.

I love the concept of looking down into a bowl! It's like a micro pond

That eheim filter comes stock with bio media and will provide ALL the biological filtration you need (good bacteria that convert ammonia and nitrite into less toxic nitrate).

Once you know the volume of your bowl, compare the flow rate (given in gallons per hour) to your bowl size. The only problem with a dramatically oversized filter would be the flow could be overwhelming to the contents of the bowl.

You might want to kick around the idea of some emerged/pond type plants sticking up out of the bowl too, that could be cool.

Just do some poking around here, you'll find plenty of helpful people and good info. I'm glad to help in any way I can.

I think it's a very exciting idea!

Cheers
iRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
tws
Algae Grower

Thanks iRun,

yes i will investigate some emerged plants possibly grasses and such ... even maybe bamboo. this will be a fun project developed over time...

i'll keep the forum posted with pictures as things progress.

thanks again for your feedback.

tws
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
tws
Algae Grower

Default Planted Bowl cont...

Greetings once more,

this week i'm putting together the components for my 24 gallon planted bowl.

towards that end i have gathered:

Azoo Plant Grower Bed

U.P. Aqua Shrimp Sand

CL26BK: Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight (i am hoping this will be enough light for plants)

EHEIM Classic 2215 External Canister

I'm trying to work out in my mind a suitable structure to bed in the substrate. very likely a stacked rock structure that will accommodate plants and eventually cherry shrimp.

now i need to find a place to order plants and some ideas for which plants may be best. certainly i'd like to have some mosses.

i am posting to get feedback and ideas.

ps: here is my other bowl with darlingtonia and assorted water plants.

thanks,

tws