Need help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Gryphon

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Need help

I have kept fresh water fish for many years, and have moved into the planted tank relm. I am having very little success. I have a 36 gal with 2"laterite base with 2" of sand toping it. (2) 26" T5 HO 10,000k (2) 18" F15T8 Max plant growth(1) 24" F17T8 Super daylight bulbs.My light cycle is 11 hours a day. Filtration I am using a Cascade Canister filter model 1000. The plats I have are Rotala Indica, Micro sword, Dracaena, Spathiphyllum, ophiopogon, Trichomanes,pygmy sword chain. I just the plants that look good from my LFS. I have no CO2 system

I also have been fighting hundres and hundreds of tiny snails.

I have 3 clown loaches, 3mollies, 3-4 guppies, 1 cory and a handful of black neons.

Last edited by Gryphon; 04-14-2012 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: update
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

First off, Dracaena, Spathiphyllum, ophiopogon, and Trichomanes are not aquatic plants. I'm guessing you bought them from those tubes they sell at Petco? Most of those plants are not true aquatics ): This might explain most of the trouble you're having. Put them in some flowerpots and get some other plants for your tank. Check out the Swap 'n Shop section here for tons of people selling and trading plants.

Second, for not having a CO2 system, you have too much light. With that much light and no CO2 you're going to run into algae issues. I had two T5HOs over my 36 gallon and I was told that alone was too much light. T5HOs are very powerful lights. Post a question in the lighting forum and someone should be able to help you figure out the best combination from what you have.

Lastly, the only way to get rid of the snails is to tear down the tank entirely and start over. If you just want their population controlled, use a combination of assassin snails, killing any snail you see, and trapping by lowering a piece of cucumber into the tank and then fishing it out once it's covered with snails. I've never done that but I hear it works well if you keep doing it.

Good luck!
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying plants, help please, newbie tank, snails