Would this work? (30gal to 30 gal long tank lighting question)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Would this work? (30gal to 30 gal long tank lighting question)

Right now I have a 29 gal. It's 30" long by 18" high and 12" deep. It's a low tech tank:

-eco complete substrate
-no CO2, was dosing with excel but not really at the moment
-T5 NO 30" 6,700K x 2 18watt bulbs coralife fixture
-HOB aquaclear filter
-3 madagascar rainbows, 3 amano shrimp, 1 very small dwarf gourami
-drift wood, tons and tons of anubias nana petite, one regular size anubias, some very slowly dying marsilea minuta, and I think it's bacopa carolina. I would like to have more plants but they don't survive in my tank
-hard water (not the calcium kind), I live on 18" of farm loam in the granite state, pH is 7.6

I'm thinking I would like to start over. I think I would like to mix my substrate a bit like Hoppy has suggested in another thread (or do I not need to do this with eco-complete?). And I was also thinking that I really should at least have a 29gal Long tank for my rainbows. They're still small now and they aren't growing very fast but still. I think the 29gal longs are 36" long, 12" deep and 12" high I think.

But I just bought two replacement bulbs for my light and so I could either just wait a yeah until I need new bulbs again or ask you guys the following question: would it be possible for me to use my light fixture (at least until it's time to get new bulbs and then I was thinking to upgrade to LED because I hate the $ for bulbs and also the waste of throwing bulbs out) and jerry rig it somehow to be not too much light and not too little light for a 30 gal long? The light is 30" long and the long tank would be 36" so it wouldn't quite reach across. And it's a shorter distance to the substrate so I imagine I'd have to hang it above the tank?

Or should I just wait a year and then think about getting a new tank and upgrade to LEDs?
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.