Deep! 3 foot plus!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Speedoking
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Deep! 3 foot plus!

I am looking at a tank that is 72 inches left to right 21 inches front to back and 42 inches tall! I am in the works with a guy to set me up with enough drift wood to scape the beast! I want to keep discus and plant it once it is established. I was wondering how on earth am i going to plant and light it! I thought I had an idea but with so much room to cover I'm lost! I want to go with t5s to keep the heat down but will they have enough power to get down to the bottom (or close). Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to have levels more or less using the driftwood to create platforms of a sort and then plant each level. Would using two wave point 156 watt 36in retro fit t5s give it the light it needs? That is a total of 8 36in bulbs. The fixtures are skinny enough that i could put four in the canopy giving me a total of 16, 624 watts. I would use the proper spectrum of light. I am worried that i would melt top growers and not reach the bottom and just have a jungle somewhere in the middle. I would like to Get some input on all aspects of the tank. Thanks all!
Speedoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

It's so shallow! 21 inches front to back? That's gotta be the worlds strangest 250 gallon tank!
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Speedoking
Algae Grower

That's what I thought when i saw it on creglist! But it is just so different I feel in love! I thought it would be a really cool discus tank! I started looking for tanks for large aggressive fish but I found this and had to email the guy! Now I'm just trying to see if its worth my troubles and how awesome this tank could turn out.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

That's a cool challenge and I can see how it can be an awesome tank for discus or altums. Maybe even for an arowana and clown loaches.

I think that the light will not be such a big deal: talk to people at Catalina Aquarium: their custom lights are very reasonable. 6-light Tec would be my next choice.

Plant wise, you can finally do plants that actually use depth: Hygro, Anubia Barteri, Vals, Swords. I would try Echinorodus tenellus that finally might look like a foreground plant in that tank . I'd love to see what a Red Tiger Lotus would look like there also. Discus do well in sparsely planted tanks anyways. So, I see a lot of options here.

I personally would be more concerned with circulation and the maintenance. If the tank is not drilled, filtering it could be a pain. I'd check with monsterfishkeepers.com and such for ideas. Getting to the bottom ... um ... maybe install an inside ladder at the back .

Have fun and keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Speedoking
Algae Grower

Unhappy

Thanks for the post! I just spent the last few hours looking at filter ideas. I know that i am going to run a 55 gallon as a sump. It has been sitting around for to long. I have a decent idea how I want that to work. But i know that wont cut it, I was going to use some small reef power heads like Koralia Nano or something along those lines, and use it to just help keep things from settling at the bottom. I think that i will invest in a large canister filter and modify the intake to reach pretty far down. I'm open to any ideas about filtration! Thanks for clearing things up on the lighting that makes me feel like this is a bit more doable. Now I'm worried about the filters... I was to get the tank drilled and had good circulation would you think that would be enough? or at least a start?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
OVT
Carpe Diem

I would wait for other people to chime in - lots of big brains on this forum.
Sump is the way to go, IMHO. Lot's of post on TPT on that subject - worth a read. Part of the challenge is not the brute filtration, but one that has a gentle flow for discus. Even with a single Fluval XP5 at ~900 gph you are not there.
I feel you are in the reefers territory here: sump -> multiple pumps to bulkhead at diff depths.

Add Water Sprite to my list of plants.
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Speedoking
Algae Grower

I may sound like a reefer because I'm coming back to freshwater after 5 years of reef keeping. I loved it, but if i was to keep a 200+ salt tank I would break the bank with that kinda gear! Plus something a little less as stressful, and more peaceful. But crawling in a almost 4 foot tank is going to be different and well getting past the filtering problem may be difficult. But I check out some tek t5s and I think the 8x80w fixture should do the job. And like you say even with a Fluval XP9 900 gph wouldn't even come close.. I need 3 of them to be in the ball park! Lots to think about.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I feel you are in the reefers territory here: sump -> multiple pumps to bulkhead at diff depths.
Then you know how to do it better then I ever will.
BTW, I'm assuming it's a glass tank. How thick is the glass? o..O man
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Speedoking
Algae Grower

I want to say it's one inch. Not 100% but its going to be a pain in the butt to move it. Biggest I've moved was a heavy stock 40 breeder/40 sump and that was across a living room.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Speedoking
Algae Grower

Still stuck on filtration.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Sump for filtration but for lighting something that deep I would have to say Metal Halides are going to be a must to get light down that far unless you do something with the plants much higher up in the water coloumn or go riparium style with above water plants and blackwater and wood down below.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Also check out my thread on building a large tank and you can see pics of the sump I had built. Just remember a tank this size isn't going to be cheap to setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Speedoking
Algae Grower

Nice 220! I'm not expecting this to be cheap, I've been around fish enough to know there are just a endless hole of money! But I am re looking into the lighting. 3 feet is a long way down! I think a good window and a UV will be in order.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
sick lid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

72x42" pane of aquarium glass would look stunning, but would make me nervous as hell, lol
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.180gallon corner in-wall build journal
sick lid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
Speedoking
Algae Grower

I'm nervous as hell as to how I going to light it!

Tags
aquascape, discus, large tank, lighting, plants