Low buck Nano...all in one or piece together (non AGA tank)?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Low buck Nano...all in one or piece together (non AGA tank)?

I see a lot of you have both ADA/DO!Aqua tanks as well as all in ones by Fluval and the like. I know many people start with the all and ones and then go the ADA route but I also see the opposite.

I want to do some type of nano in the future. However, I am a bit low on cash. I don't mind piecing something together but I don't plan on an all ADA tank or anything.

I already have all the CO2 stuff so my budget is small but it doesn't have to be low tech. One of the big reasons I would like to do another nano is I have the CO2 in order and that is the expensive part. I have some Flourite laying around that I would likely use. I have an AC 20 that I would use for the time being if I didn't go all in one. Lighting is the only thing I really lack but I could do a CFL fixture as a temp solution.

I figure I could either do a Fluval/Aqueon/Eheim tank for dirt cheap. I see them on sale all the time. Or I could get a DO!Aqua. I only can do 16-18 in wide where I want it, preferably smaller. AFA is close enough where I don't have to pay a big premium to get my hand on ADA/DO!Aqua and outside of the lighting (which I would consider upgrading on other tanks), the price isn't much difference from the other offerings on sale (but more costly than clearance which is much harder to find).

Just wondering if I am overlooking something. I don't want a money pit of a tank. I am not yet convinced I even want another tank yet. I don't plan on going with a canister or really nice light. I just want something attractive enough that I can keep some plants I already have and some shrimp or baby guppies I will inevitably have. I don't want to cheap out on an AGA tank because I do want it to look good and the smaller the tank with an AGA, the worse it looks. I am thinking that DO!Aqua is the way to go, again, just wondering if I am missing something.

My other idea is getting a 10 gallon and doing a 10 "deep". I would just use a standard 10 but have it sideways. I think it could be cool and have a lot of perspective, or be really ugly lol.

I know it's just me being indecisive but I am just wondering what others would do.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Maybe consider a mr. aqua? Have a look around locally, perhaps. I got a steal on an almost full ADA setup, but I just got lucky. I wouldn't get a kit if I were you. Most of the times, I end up changing so many aspects of the tank, equipment, etc, as I find deals and the tank's needs evolve. In the end, I'm usually very glad that I didn't confine myself to kit X's exact parameters. If you look at a lot of the different kits out there, you notice that many designs kind of dissuade modding.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
fishyjoe24
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it doesn't haven't to be expesnive to be nice. I bought a 10g to qt a angel and when I got home I found I had a 5 gallon to put it. so I used the tank. 10g with a normal lid, compact spirals, seachem substrate, anubias as a mid ground, and rotella as a back ground. trying to figure out foreground still. my filter a eheim 2234 with intake and out take turn down. no problems.

fishyjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I just got a new Schuber-Wright nano I love. Low iron, perfect seams. VERY nice tank for the money. Ordered off of [Ebay Link Removed]
Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

I didn't think of Mr. Aqua. A few places sell them locally but I may have to order it to get the size I want.

I don't wan't a standard tank as I have been there done that. I really don't feel the need to have an extra tank so if I get one, I want it to be something that I may get rid of another tank (standard 10 gallon) for. Not saying I am replacing another tank, I just want to feel like I can part with that if I get a new rimless looking really good.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I don't really like the all in one tanks since they never have exactly what I want and then I am paying for something I don't even need.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
dunehole
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

I am thinking about the same thing as you. I am considering the Fluval Ebi, the pieces seem to be pretty useable, the only thing that would need to be swapped would be the light if you want high light levels.
dunehole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So, I guess I made my decision today. I bought a generic rimless with the curved glass instead of the front seems. It was $25 or so, they gave me a discount on my overall purchase.

I was so close to purchasing a Mini M. It was just a bit too small for me. The Mini L was perfect but just out of my price range. I am having a bit of buyers remorse but I have to realize I don't have a light yet, much less the budget for something really nice. So, all and all, I am happy with just buying the tank separately since I have a filter and substrate already.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

where did you find the generic rimless with curved seams? Is it bow front or curved on just the seams (I've never liked the distortion on bow fronts)
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
where did you find the generic rimless with curved seams? Is it bow front or curved on just the seams (I've never liked the distortion on bow fronts)
It's curved instead of seems, not a bow front. It is not this tank but it looks like it- http://reefbuilders.com/2009/07/20/f...ass-pico-tank/

I bought it at a LFS in Pasadena area, CA on vacation. However, they have the exact same ones where I live, but they don't always have the right sizes in stock so I just went ahead and bought it down here. They don't have any brand name on them or anything so I can't give you a hint where to find them online or in your area. I do know they come in about 5 different sizes, from maybe 2-3 gallons up to around 10 gallons. They also have black felt on the bottom that makes them identifiable.

I tried to search and I am coming up with nothing. Sorry I can't really help.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
It's curved instead of seems, not a bow front. It is not this tank but it looks like it- http://reefbuilders.com/2009/07/20/f...ass-pico-tank/

I bought it at a LFS in Pasadena area, CA on vacation. However, they have the exact same ones where I live, but they don't always have the right sizes in stock so I just went ahead and bought it down here. They don't have any brand name on them or anything so I can't give you a hint where to find them online or in your area. I do know they come in about 5 different sizes, from maybe 2-3 gallons up to around 10 gallons. They also have black felt on the bottom that makes them identifiable.

I tried to search and I am coming up with nothing. Sorry I can't really help.
Did you go to A+? There's a lot of these generic tanks with the curved front seams. I've seen some that go up to 20 gallons and they have several smaller sizes under 10 gallons. I say you made a good choice since you saved a good chunk of money and still have a nice looking rimless tank.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
Did you go to A+? There's a lot of these generic tanks with the curved front seams. I've seen some that go up to 20 gallons and they have several smaller sizes under 10 gallons. I say you made a good choice since you saved a good chunk of money and still have a nice looking rimless tank.
Yeah, I got it at A+. I have seen them a few places up north as well. Albany Aquarium has them (or used to) which is a place I go regularly.

The tank is cool, it's weird though. It has no brand name on the tank or the box.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Yeah, I got it at A+. I have seen them a few places up north as well. Albany Aquarium has them (or used to) which is a place I go regularly.

The tank is cool, it's weird though. It has no brand name on the tank or the box.
I remember reading something about it a while back. Seems that the majority of these rimless tanks are manufactured from a single company in China and different companies just sell it as their own. I've seen some of them that had a brand stamped on the box but I can't recall what it was.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.