On the Edge of a Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Carriegiesler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am embarking on a new adventure in aquatics. I have kept a reef tank of various sizes and set-up for the past 10years. At the peak of the hobby I had a very nice 70 Oceanic Tech tank.

I have enjoyed the hobby and learned a tremendous amount however as too common in the reef keeping hobby I had meet my match in tank size/upkeep. I found myself dreading the chore of maintaining the setup. I started to downsize going to a 24 drilled Nano, then to the 6g Edge only to keep my unique clownfish pair, some corals and live rock.

Over the past 6 months I have reasoned with myself in finding my clowns a more suitable home with an anemone like they had in the 70 & Nano. Now that I have found a suitable person to adopt them I now can think of setting up a Iwagumi style planted tank.
I have spent the last several months reading and researching planted tank because I wasn’t sure I wanted to try and revitalize my passion for saltwater or move on to planted tanks. During my research process I really found myself falling in love with the tank of Takashi Amano.

So that’s my story/history.

This weekend I visited several LFS and window shopped different fish, plants and looked for interesting rock. I found several great looking pieces of petrified wood.

After getting them home I mapped out the dimensions of the Edge tank and started playing around with aquascaping ideas.
Option 1:
top down
top of the shoe box shows distance above the scape the tank top.

Option 2:

Suggestion on the aquascape is appreciated.

Last edited by Carriegiesler; 02-22-2012 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: Fix pictures-Thx Matt for the help
Carriegiesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Fornstar
Algae Grower

You need to use the image tag

[img]copy photo address here[img]

Matt
Fornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Carriegiesler
Algae Grower

Thanks Matt for your help.
Carriegiesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
mluk27
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I like that picasso clown lol what a cool fish. Your idea for a tank looks awesome! Looks like you picked up the perfect things for the landscape. Im excited to see how it turns out!
mluk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Carriegiesler
Algae Grower

The clowns are a Black Ice semi-snowflake occelaris and a Black and white Occelaris. The woman who is picking them up tomorrow breeds clowns so it is going to be a bitter sweet goodbye as I always wanted to breed them just never had the time or dedicated space to do so. But I know the breeder and she will definitly take great care of them and who knows maybe if I ever get back into s.w. I can get one of their babies.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
synthorange
Algae Grower

Are you going to be able to get those rocks in the tiny opening for an Edge though?
synthorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Carriegiesler
Algae Grower

Yes I thought of that when picking them out and yes they do fit.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
mluk27
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Haha whoops sorry they kind of look similar regardless really cool clown fish! glad you found a good home.. Are you thinking of doing a High tech or low tech tank?
mluk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
forrestp38829
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quite the ambitious goal. Coming over from the reefing hobby as well, I can tell you, "Planted Tanks are awesome!" I used to look down on FW. Thinking it was boring, or not complex. I was a fool, I tell you, a Fool! The only PROBLEM with FW, is that the cost is lower. Which means that you can actually have all those things that you want. If you have the room. Collectoritis is a mutha. Good luck.

Following intently.

Oh, and when you empty the tank, I would love to see pics of the proposed scapes in the tank.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Carriegiesler
Algae Grower

Synthorange-what kind of shrimp is that in your avatar?

Mluk-With all the left over reef stuff I have left over: AI sol lighting, AC jr, and whatnots (reading about CO2) I am thinking most people on this forum would say I am going at it high tech but I would like to say at time moment I am somewhere in the middle just using what I have. I know I dont want all the up keep the reef was, as that is the whole reason I eventually go out.

Forrestp-I went to my first FW swap this past weekend and I was overwhelmed with how large the swap was (1,000's of people) and in a big nice banquet hall. Not that I am bashing the SW swaps but we usually crammed into a very run down VFW hall that barely fit 75 people and there were usually 300 people in attendance.
The other thing that I was pleased to find is Yes, the cost in FW are awsome. The days of spending 50-60 dollars for a piece of coral, fish or invert are gone. I am hoping to save so much money maybe I can retire early (I can wish).

By the way Forrestp I really like your tanks. Your thread was one of my inspirations to research and learn more about the Iwagumi style.

The pics will definitely follow. That is one thing I wished I had document better with my Reef. Plus I still have lots of ?'s and need opions on whats best.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
synthorange
Algae Grower

It's just a plain old red cherry shrimp girl. She's still hanging out in my little cube tank with a few dozen buddies! link
synthorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
600rr
Algae Grower

Looks like we're on the same wavelength lol. The pic of Amano's scape is the look I was going for although mine is looking a bit rough right now though.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
Carriegiesler
Algae Grower

Default 600rr

Wow!!! Your tank looks so sweet. I would say we are definitly on the same wavelenght.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
600rr
Algae Grower

Thanks. I would liked to have started with more petrified wood. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Nice stones... I like the layout
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote