Puopg's 60P Iwagumi - Twin Hills
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Puopg's 60P Iwagumi - Twin Hills

What's up TPT,
Decided to finally make a journal about my tank. Been running for a few months now, but I will post pictures from the beginning. This is my first attempt at an iwagumi scape and my first rimless tank. Gotta say, loving how clear these ADA tanks are. Lighting is measured around 50-60 PAR at the substrate and CO2 still needs to monitored. Going to try my hands also at keeping these PRL's amidst all the CO2 and inexperience with shrimp. So far, no deaths after a few months. I hope that the sump can improve oxygenation and allow me to support higher CO2 levels at the same time. Thanks for checking my journal out!

FTS 1/26/2014
Flora:
- Hemianthus Callitrichoides
- Mini Pellia
- Blyxa Japonica
- (Phased out) Eleocharis Parvula?

Fauna:
- PRL

Hardscape:
- Red Lava Rock, found at the local landscaping place. Not too many people use the red.

Substrate:
- ADA Amazonia II

Equipment:
- ADA 60P
- Custom built ADA style stand
- Tek 4x24w T5HO 24", 2 bulbs run 1 Geisemann Midday 7000k and 1 Geisemann lagoon blue
- Linde CS-200-2 Stainless Steel Regulator, Swagelok 2-stage Metering Valve, Burkert Solenoid.
- Inline CO2 Atomizer by Up Aqua (Looking to go Needle wheel in my Pump)
- CPR CS50 Overflow Box
- CPR Sump
- BioBale, Purigen, UV Sterilizer
- Rio+ 1400 Pump

Setting up the tank:

Regulator Sexyness #noshame

Plumbing

Hardscape

Before Filling

Last edited by puopg; 01-26-2014 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Update FTS
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Killer all around!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

Awesome tank! Thanks for sharing
Duck5003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Looking good, subscribed!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Have you considered making the scape less symmetrical? The setup looks very nice.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the comments! Yea as for symmetry, i went for contrast in height of the two stones. You can kinda see the discrepancy in a leveled photo, but the slopes kinda auto-leveled themselves once water came in. I wish I had sloped one of the hills a bit more, but since there's no support underneath the AS, I will have to wait till the next scape to do something. Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Nobody
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like it, the colors really pop.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Initial Hurdles
Before this tank got to where it is now, I would just like to document the journey to it current state. I wish I taken photos of its bringup, but I guess I forgot to. So this tank got dry started for over a month before water was added. At the time, I tried to attach the moss to the rock using super glue, had Hairgrass behind the rocks, and had HC like now.

Issues
- Mold
This began to grow on my HC during the DSM. I had covered the entire tank with plastic wrap and sprayed it a bunch 2 times a day. Problem was that mold quickly grew on the HC and it really took a beating. Most of my initial HC died. One patch lived I think. Upon seeing this, I read to open the tank up a bit. So from that point on, I sprayed and only partially covered the tank. I left a bit open. In addition, Since i had it on hand, I used melafix and pimafix in the water bottle i used to spray. I don't think it really did much though. Smelled nice haha.

- Algae
After the flood, I began getting some algae. I wasn't sure exactly what it was, but it seemed mostly like spirogyra of some kind. This stuff was nasty. Basically looked like small dark green to black puffballs tangled in the HC. Sounds like BBA right? I don't think it was. It was really easy to remove manually since it just lifted off like a cotton ball rips. But since it tangled in the HC, I also uprooted a lot of HC when removing it. The pincets i use for planting stems came in real good use here. But like i said, this stuff was nasty! I tried everything I had: Excel, Algaefix, H2O2 1-2 punch. I saw it bubble during the H2O2 spot treatment but it still remained. Some of the HC i spot treated died. After this, I basically decided to go to my final weapon. In my 10 gallon, I had a huge issue with algae. It was my first planted tank, and I could not figure out why algae was so rampant. As time went on, i learned more and more about plants and CO2. My final weapon in that tank was the blackout. But not simply a 3-day blackout. My final weapon vs all but BBA is (Maximum manual removal + blackout + excel) -> add a bunch of healthy fast growing plants + lower light. BBA, I am still learning how to fully control. It's pretty much all that exists in my 10 gallon and it doesn't spread that badly any more but, still its there. Not until i see it gone will I admit to defeating it.

So after this final attack, I added a bunch of rotala green from my 10 gallon. Wish I didn't get snails with it since the 60P now has snails because of that. But hey, sure as heck beats algae. The algae still remained but it was much less. For the next 2 weeks I continued the water changes, and manually removing as much as I could. Towards the end of this time, the algae began to slow down a lot. And basically a month later, the algae was gone. I removed the rotala I added 2 weeks later( it was pretty huge now haha) and added the PRL's.

One of the reasons why this is my final weapon is cause it targets so many things all at once. The reduction in light helps lower the CO2 demand by plants;the manual removal reduces the algae biomass;the blackout hurts multiple kinds of algae;the excel adds a bit more knockback to the algae; and the addition of healthy fast growing plants helps take up nutrients quickly and shift the balance back into plants favor. I am a firm believer in healthy plants = very little algae. And this last part is very key to this method. I can also remove the excel from the equation and pretty much get the same results. Then this becomes a no chemical treatment. Another reason why I use it.

Last edited by puopg; 10-28-2013 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: explain
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update!

Babies and Berries

Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

FTS

Got some BBA on the rocks. Probably since CO2 has been pretty inconsistent recently. Need to maintain levels and see what happens. Just switched my UV sterilizer out since it was reducing flow too much and removed inline CO2 atomizer in favor of needle wheel impeller and feeding CO2 line directly into pump. Less mist, and much faster pH drop. Also, I can adjust it pretty freely in comparison to an atomizer.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Love that carpet!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #12
Greedy
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Its filling in really nicely! Throw a baby SAE in there

I am a member of the:
Sacramento Aquarium Society
Sacramento Aquatic Plant Society
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
dhsanti
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very awesome tank !! What type of moss is on the red lava rock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
dhsanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsanti View Post
Very awesome tank !! What type of moss is on the red lava rock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
Thanks to all. That is mini pellia. Crap can frag off really easily though.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update guys!

So I had a pretty bad hair algae infestation. I tried using algaefix. I used so little and bam all the babies died. And whats worse, the hair algae still was there. I had to do a bunch of water changes during december to help remove all the algaefix but luckily i still got most of my PRL's. And best part, one baby did survive and more actually hatched recently! Oh yea and that hair algae has pretty much gone away. I added some extra plants to help out and some floaters. Additionally, I added back in the UV sterilizer and it seems to help a bit. Oh yea and that holding cell is for a female. She berried.