Oops... CO2 Poisoning?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Oops... CO2 Poisoning?

Well I am still tweaking my pressurized CO2 system to try to figure out the proper amount of CO2 to add. I just got a drop checker. The other day, I was gradually turning up CO2 over the course of the afternoon, waiting to see signs of stress from the fish. When I noticed all of my rasboras gathered at the surface, I immediately turned the CO2 off for 10 or 15 minutes until the fish began showing normal behavior again, then started over gradually increasing CO2, being careful not to turn it up too much at once. Well I thought I had escaped any fatalities, but later that afternoon and the next day, I found all 4 of my amano shrimp dead even though they had been doing great just the day before. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20-30, pH 6.4, Temp 76F, GH 3.3dH, KH 1.7dH and conditions have been stable (I've been measuring daily over the past week to get an idea of any fluctuations that may be occurring) and all fish and shrimp thriving up until this event. The only reason I can think of that caused the shrimp to die suddenly is CO2 poisoning. I wouldn't have thought the shrimp would die before the fish, but I don't know anything about shrimp breathing mechanism, so I am not sure. Does it sound like CO2 poisoning?
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I believe that amano's are ph sensitive under 6.5 - 8 above. That could explain why just your amano's were effected. I also only lost 2 of my amano's when I was trying to run my ph at 6.4 .
Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

They've been living in pH 6.4 for about a month and doing just fine. That's why I didn't think it was a pH issue. I've recently started trying the new Seachem Aquavitro Carbonate to try to boost my KH up just a little, to around 3dH, so I don't get such a large pH swing (7.0 before lights come on, 6.4 by end of the photo period) in an effort to prevent pH related issues with the fish. Maybe I'll get some more amanos once I get it figured out.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
s_s
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you turned it up during one afternoon, you most likely gassed/pH shocked them.

Most the time when I hear people talk about "slowly turning up their CO2", they're talking about a few weeks to a months time.
s_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
cawolf86
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Sounds like CO2 poisoning. I did it once too and lost a few fish.
cawolf86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
Sounds like CO2 poisoning. I did it once too and lost a few fish.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was just trying to diagnose the problem so I could avoid it in the future. Kinda mad at myself that I rushed it a bit and ended up losing all my shrimp :-/. At least I have pretty much confirmed that was the problem now so hopefully I won't do it again.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Joe.1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've got some nerites in my tank. They are the first to start moving to the top for air. Thats when I know the co2 is getting up there. Then turn it down just a tad.
Joe.1 is offline   Reply With Quote