5 Gallon Fluval Chi - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #31
JMex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

HC is far too infested with algae for it to be worth keeping it. Gonna rip it out this week and replace it with either dwarf hairgrass or glossostigma. Still not decided on which yet.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
JMex
Algae Grower

Well, I took out the driftwood (temporarily) to help with tank maintenance while I figure out this algae thing. I also dropped the lighting time to 6 hours, and what do you know, algae growth has significantly slowed down, and plant health has increased. The shrimp are also out cleaning more of the tank. The HC is actually seeming salvageable at this point which I am very happy with as I didn't want to deal with starting another carpet plant. Going to continue doing water changes twice a week for now until I stop seeing the big groups of hair algae on everything. But it looks like it's headed in a good direction!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #33
Chizpa305
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Try to save the HC. It is a beautiful carpet plant. Post some pics to see how it's looking
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #34
JMex
Algae Grower

Oh, I have been forgetting to update! I reduced light time to 6 hours a day and added a couple more amanos. Algae problem is pretty much gone. A little here and there but it's good cause then I don't have to feed the inverts. The HC is definitely coming back strong. I had to rip about half of it out cause of algae/dead plant matter but whats left is coming back better than ever. I'll post pics tomorrow when the lights are back on.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #35
JMex
Algae Grower

So, I have been just growing everything out for a while, but ever since that last algae outbreak nothing has been growing as good as it used to, and the scape is starting to look worn out. I'm gonna tear it down and re-do everything next month when my LFS has it's anniversary sale. I can't decide if I want to put the original filter back on and do some minimalistic thing with just sand and some stem plants in the middle or attempt to make an iwagumi type scape out of it.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #36
JMex
Algae Grower

Finally tore it down and have started on the rescape. Harscape progression thus far...

I'm letting it sit for a bit until I have the extra money to buy plants for DSM. This way I can also see if I like looking at it everyday before I make it a permanent thing.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #37
JMex
Algae Grower

I planted it on friday but never got around to posting the update so here it is a bit late! Right after planting. So far it's HC and brazilian microsword.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #38
jointbeaker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

any updates here? I'm trying a DSM Chi as well.
jointbeaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #39
JMex
Algae Grower

Week 5 update:

Had some issues with white mold and the HC browning off a bit. Started misting with water change water from other established tank, letting it air out for a bit everyday, and added a cut open water bottle with water in it for humidity. Growth has been steady since. I think the eco-complete had trouble providing nutrients for the plants for a while but has finally absorbed some of the osmocote root tabs I put in, combined with the misting, has stopped the dying off of the plants. At this point just misting as it seems needed and making sure the water bottle has water in it to keep up the humidity. Starting to think of what plants to put in the back left corner. I'm thinking something with a bit of color to balance out the rest but I'll have to see what it looks like when I get the black background back on it.

Week 5 growth:

Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #40
jointbeaker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMex View Post
Week 5 update:

Had some issues with white mold and the HC browning off a bit. Started misting with water change water from other established tank, letting it air out for a bit everyday, and added a cut open water bottle with water in it for humidity. Growth has been steady since. I think the eco-complete had trouble providing nutrients for the plants for a while but has finally absorbed some of the osmocote root tabs I put in, combined with the misting, has stopped the dying off of the plants. At this point just misting as it seems needed and making sure the water bottle has water in it to keep up the humidity. Starting to think of what plants to put in the back left corner. I'm thinking something with a bit of color to balance out the rest but I'll have to see what it looks like when I get the black background back on it.

Week 5 growth:
What are you using for a light period?

I've started a log on my two Chi tanks as well...one being my first try at a dry start, with Eco-complete & Miracle Grow Organic underneath that...

Here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=196209

I'd suggest taking off the filter/light mount on the back wall. i did that with mine, knowing very well that I was never going to use the stock filter anyways. It wasn't too hard (I used fishing line, and pulled that back and forth between the mount/glass to essentially cut the adhesive.) If you're familiar with taking off emblems/dealer stickers on a new car, it's very much the same process.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #41
JMex
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jointbeaker View Post
What are you using for a light period?

I've started a log on my two Chi tanks as well...one being my first try at a dry start, with Eco-complete & Miracle Grow Organic underneath that...

Here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=196209

I'd suggest taking off the filter/light mount on the back wall. i did that with mine, knowing very well that I was never going to use the stock filter anyways. It wasn't too hard (I used fishing line, and pulled that back and forth between the mount/glass to essentially cut the adhesive.) If you're familiar with taking off emblems/dealer stickers on a new car, it's very much the same process.
Light period is 10 hours with a 13 watt 6500 kelvin bulb (I think, it's either 13 or 19 watts, those home depot daylight ones). I am thinking of taking it off before I fill it. Though every time I'm about to do it the thought pops in my head that some day I might want to use the stock again, haha. I imagine that with some fishing line and a hair dryer it would be pretty easy to take off though. It would look a lot better too...just need to convince myself a little further
Old 11-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #42
jointbeaker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMex View Post
Light period is 10 hours with a 13 watt 6500 kelvin bulb (I think, it's either 13 or 19 watts, those home depot daylight ones). I am thinking of taking it off before I fill it. Though every time I'm about to do it the thought pops in my head that some day I might want to use the stock again, haha. I imagine that with some fishing line and a hair dryer it would be pretty easy to take off though. It would look a lot better too...just need to convince myself a little further
It DOES look a lot better, and it would still be pretty easy at this stage in the game for you.

I'm doing a 10 hr period, split up into two 5hr periods during the day.

Hoping to watch your Chi grow out.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #43
12345arah
Algae Grower

cute! :3
12345arah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #44
JMex
Algae Grower

Week 10!

My phone camera is bad, it really isn't that yellow in real life, haha. Everything is growing very good. The microsword was actually starting to invade the HC a lot so I've had to keep up on trimming the runners. Contemplating taking some old plastic cards to put in and separate it from the rest. HC has been growing but also started browning on some ends for no apparent reason, nothing has changed from before so I've been problem solving that but it's going to be time to flood it soon anyway, just waiting on my new CO2 diffuser to get here and hopefully for the HC to get a bit healthier before the change.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #45
JMex
Algae Grower

Just got my CO2 diffuser from GLA today and flooded the tank

This is another phone pic but I've been playing around a bit with a DSLR so hopefully the pictures will get better with future updates

Tags
aquascape, chi, fluval, gallon