Driftwood Placement - Your Opinion?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
fizzout
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

Driftwood Placement - Your Opinion?

I just obtained some manzanita branches and I'm thinking of placing them upside down to resemble tree roots. What do you think about the arrangement below?

Name:  Driftwood(400x201).jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  102.9 KB

I haven't seen too many folks doing it upside down, so I'm wondering if there are any problems with this.

Thanks.

Last edited by fizzout; 06-02-2012 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Replace photo with smaller size
fizzout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)

I think it'd be pretty wonderful, especially i you put a big ol' thing of moss at the top of the branch and make a "tree".
My shrimp dance about and zoom all over the tank. Then their skins fall off!
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
I think it'd be pretty wonderful, especially i you put a big ol' thing of moss at the top of the branch and make a "tree".

great idea.

i love the way those branches look. i think it will make for a really cool looking set up
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
cradleoffilthfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I love manzanita......I like the idea too.
cradleoffilthfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have seen this idea work very well. It seems to work best when the thicker parts approach the waterline. The arrangement you show makes me wonder where the "roots" originate. If you can have them squeaking out from between some "cliff" rocks, then it would look terrific, in my opinion.

The eye sees all and the brain wants it to make sense.

Nice hunk 'o wood.
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think its a great idea, I really like the downward facing look, I would however sink as little of the branches into the substrate as possible. I think all those distinct branches make the whole piece look great!
DTDPlanted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
fizzout
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
The arrangement you show makes me wonder where the "roots" originate. If you can have them squeaking out from between some "cliff" rocks, then it would look terrific, in my opinion.

The eye sees all and the brain wants it to make sense.

Nice hunk 'o wood.
I agree. I would like to keep the illusion of the roots coming from somewhere, but adding more to the tank may take away from the feeling of openness that I am attempting to create. By arranging the branches so that the main trunks are at water line, I may be able to "get away" with the illusion that the roots are coming from above. Also, attaching plants to the trunks may give it more of a believable natural look ... maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
I think its a great idea, I really like the downward facing look, I would however sink as little of the branches into the substrate as possible. I think all those distinct branches make the whole piece look great!
Yes, many of branch tips will stay above the substrate, but some will be in the substrate for support as well as to give the illusion that these are roots. I am thinking of attaching Christmas moss on some of the exposed tips to give the "roots" an aged look.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

what will you use for your foreground cover? i thinking if you use a thick grass type thing it will help with idea that the roots actually go somewhere?
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
fizzout
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
what will you use for your foreground cover? i thinking if you use a thick grass type thing it will help with idea that the roots actually go somewhere?
I am considering a variety of low growing ground covers. Assuming that my light level will be sufficient, I would like to incorporate Glossostigma, Hemianthus callitrichoides, and Cryptocoryne parva in patches along the edges of the "roots". I would be so happy if I was at that stage of the setup, that won't happen for several more weeks.

Tags
driftwood, manzanita