dario dario breeding - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-31-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
matiller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any updates?
matiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #32
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

I'm convinced my female is on birth control. Cause they just get busy, but no fry yet. I'm tempted to toss her into my community tank with lots of males. Or put another in her tank.

My husband's idea was to tie her up with moss until she gets pregnant >.< bdsm dario

-Val
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #33
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Let me tell you, I'm having the exact same problem with my durned apistos. Lay, eat eggs. Lay, eat eggs. I agree on the birth control thing. Softer water, maybe?

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #34
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll try a little bit of soft water tonight. It can't hurt to try. The only other thing in there are 10 pfr shrimp culls.

-Val
Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
matiller
Algae Grower

It seems like as soon as you want something to start breeding, all sorts of roadblocks pop up along the way . Trust me, I know the feeling lol. 19 cherry shrimp, not a shrimplet yet smh.

I went away on vacation for two weeks, came back and my juvie trio of dario turned out to be 1 dominant male, 1 female & the last is a gamble. Dom & his girly hang out quite a bit, even noticed some chasing around the other day. I purposely let the tank overgrow to see if that would give any shrimplets or dario fry a chance for survival, so I bet in the next month or so we'll see.

Strangely, I wouldn't mind if they start eating eggs as long as they're well fed. At some point the plants would grow up enough for nice hidey holes lol, just want a self-sustaining tank in terms of food, at least.

Keep us posted!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #36
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiller View Post
It seems like as soon as you want something to start breeding, all sorts of roadblocks pop up along the way . Trust me, I know the feeling lol. 19 cherry shrimp, not a shrimplet yet smh.

I went away on vacation for two weeks, came back and my juvie trio of dario turned out to be 1 dominant male, 1 female & the last is a gamble. Dom & his girly hang out quite a bit, even noticed some chasing around the other day. I purposely let the tank overgrow to see if that would give any shrimplets or dario fry a chance for survival, so I bet in the next month or so we'll see.

Strangely, I wouldn't mind if they start eating eggs as long as they're well fed. At some point the plants would grow up enough for nice hidey holes lol, just want a self-sustaining tank in terms of food, at least.

Keep us posted!
I had thought about putting one of my berried pfr in there lol. But they have enough food. They get grindal and micro worms. There's also copepods in there since I fed the shrimp to get it started. I do love watching them eat lol. How they just stare at the glass/substrate and stop moving before they dive bomb it.

It is also a mass of java moss in there also. Plants also. They seem to like sleeping in the moss. But they also get frisky in it. Nothing has come from it that I've seen. Or not survived anyways.

I had contacted someone about getting more females. I was told that their "breeder" in New York sold red ones. That she told them all males and females grow up to be bright red. I sent him pictures of the females I've had to show them that they aren't bright red. He never replied back.

-Val
Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #37
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Aw. Dario dario need to have babies for Psionic. >_>
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #38
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Have you tried the Playboy channel yet?
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #39
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Have you tried the Playboy channel yet?
Twice.

-Val
Old 06-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #40
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

How about Barry White? :O Man, they owe it to you to spawn at this point. You've been awesome to these lil dudes.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #41
matiller
Algae Grower

Any luck so far Psionic?

Was doing some research on sexing scarlet's, and I've probably run into a game changing problem: my "female" may instead be a bottom rank sub-dominant male in the tank hierarchy. I've noticed the 2nd male has wonderfully red & blue fins, but a pale pink/white body like the females you posted on the first page of this thread. The ventral fins are just as long as the dominant & sub males', with a faint blue shimmer to them. I began to wonder if 3 males share the same territory, would the bottom male have a pale pink/white body and clear fins as a sign of submission?

Have you noticed anything like this in your larger tank with the 15 males?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #42
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiller View Post
Any luck so far Psionic?

Was doing some research on sexing scarlet's, and I've probably run into a game changing problem: my "female" may instead be a bottom rank sub-dominant male in the tank hierarchy. I've noticed the 2nd male has wonderfully red & blue fins, but a pale pink/white body like the females you posted on the first page of this thread. The ventral fins are just as long as the dominant & sub males', with a faint blue shimmer to them. I began to wonder if 3 males share the same territory, would the bottom male have a pale pink/white body and clear fins as a sign of submission?

Have you noticed anything like this in your larger tank with the 15 males?
Do you have a pic of your female/sub male? How large is your tank with them in it? I had 2 sub dominant males in my large tank, they ended up dying from starvation I think. The others are doing ok. They were pale almost like a female, but had more color to them and stripes going down. The stripes weren't as bright and predominant as a male though. The females I've had and seen have been milky white with no stripes and this lighter translucent with barely any stripes. It sounds like it's a male though. A picture would help a lot. My males in my 60 gallon will flare at each other a lot, so they're bright red most of the time. They do swim around and don't actively defend territory much though. They also swim together almost like shoaling. I'll try to keep putting up more pictures.

Some people are also able to tell by how they swim. I'll see if I can snag some video of the differences in my female and male swimming around. The male tends to jolt around in short movements. The female will swim more like a normal fish and not go in bursts. She also won't randomly flare her fins at stuff, even while eating.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #43
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

-Val
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #44
matiller
Algae Grower

To be honest, every camera in my possession is HORRIBLE at trying to capture anything in my tanks smh. I have a 5g, and was told that I was purchasing 2 males & 2 females. The previous dominant male arrived dead, so the current one now took over. They were juvies back then, though. I hoped I had 1 male and 2 females, buuuut that's definitely out the window now. Your males probably have enough space to establish multiple territories since they're able to color up so nicely. Probably not enough space in my 5g for two different territories =/

The fish in question looks the exact same as a male, but white/pink with no fin coloration. I see your female has more of a grey/green tint to her dorsal/back area, and has a pretty broad stomach area, almost like a mini silver dollar fish. That alone makes me think it's just a male on the lower end of the hierarchy. I'll try to post pics of the fish later today, though. Thanks for the help, btw!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #45
matiller
Algae Grower

Actually, it looks EXACTLY like this fish here: http://www.future-digital.com/aquari...is_640x480.jpg