dario dario breeding - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

No one is allowed in the mancave huh? Silly fisheous. Maybe they'd like some of the borneowild food I got for the CPD.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic View Post
...The male is being a total jerk. ... What a male.
-Val
Maybe he needs instructions.
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #18
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Maybe he needs instructions.
You are just unruly!

-Val
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #19
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

My Dario H. are the same way. Two males had my 75gal on complete lockdown. Once a female lays eggs in their territory they will feverishly defend pretty much everything they can see. Even oto's aren't safe from their prickness.

I ended up moving those two males out and now its just one male and two females. Remaining male is pretty cool. I have been trying to catch one of the females for weeks but they are quick little paranoid fish.

I have a 10 gal set up for spawning if I ever catch her. Or if the two males don't kill eachother waiting for her.
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log
D3monic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #20
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had to corner mine and then hold the net behind them. I'd wave the net to make a current and once they were pushed off the wall, I snatched them upwards and pulled the net straight up as fast as I could.

My males have gotten used to each other. Sometimes they even look like they school and 3 will be hovering on a plant together.

Some of my PFR in the tank are going to pop soon. I wonder how many of them will be dario food. I might try to catch one soon and put it in a tank on its own. Have some shrimp babies actually survive.

-Val

Last edited by Psionic; 05-05-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm too tired to whip out the camera, so the phone will have to do. Here is a pic of my big fat female. I don't know how they look when pregnant or how long they stay that way for. But here she is.

-Val
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Before I left town, I had fed and watched my dario for a little bit. The male seems other really ticked off or really frisky. He just keeps chasing after the female while he's flared. He'll literally swim fast circles around her like he's a shark. She darts away, he wags his dorsal and goes after her. Then she lays down on the gravel and eats some worms or cyclops. That seems to be her favorite thing to do. Maybe that's why she got so pudgy. But he swoops in to do the same thing over and over.

Normal or not?

-Val
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #23
matiller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How're your dario dario doing? Any updates?
matiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I just watched him wrap around her 5 times. They are on opposite sides of the tank now. Him waiting impatiently and she's eating.

Today he was following her around everywhere, but not chasing her away. He'd look like he was jabbing her to pay attention to him. He kept brushing up against her and shoving her into a corner behind the heater. She's just chowing down on food. They get too close to each other in the middle of the tank and then flee in opposite directions.

Her stomach also seems to have squared off like that of a guppy

-Val
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #25
matiller
Algae Grower

Cute lol, I had just gotten a trio of boys in the mail today (would've been four, but one died from bad shipping). Psionic, where did you get your girl from? Any successful breedings so far?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #26
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got them from wet spot tropical. They sent me 3 wild females. 1 died the day after I got it, 1 I have in my community tank. But she is still little and not fully grown. This one was the largest and fully grown. No eggs yet that I have seen. I bought some more java moss from h4n. I'm hoping that will help even though they seem to like behind the heater. I may even switch him out for others I have in my community tank or shrimp tank.

-Val
Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #27
matiller
Algae Grower

Those 3 are in my 5g with 20 RCS, 2 tiger shrimp and a few b. brigittae. Took a gamble with them, the shop owner who "sexed" them said they were females, but I suspected dominance or stress played a factor in throwing off the analysis.

I've tried to do a hornwort & anacharis forest with two tall columns of java moss on the sides of a large lava rock in the tank. In the middle there's a banana plant, so that area is quite crowded and the little guys love it. I've got a nice copepod & pond snail/mini ramshorn population going too-have you noticed if yours have taken to snails yet or at all?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mine haven't touched any snails. But there aren't many in there. I saw them going at it today. But nothing came of it again. I added in a large mass of java moss as well. They seem to prefer squeezing into moss I have on a small piece of mesh.

-Val
Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #29
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have produced fry from mine, I have yet to have visually seen any eggs but I assure you they have probably already produced for you.

They will spawn, male will turn into a total prick guarding eggs.

Once eggs hatch out he will defend for a bit longer and then start chowing down on any fry he can find.

Few days later he will start flashing her and trying to lead her back to his territory. Rinse and repeat.

Got a few fry pics down in my dario breeding signature.
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log
D3monic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #30
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

He hasn't turned into a jerk yet. Mostly all they do is follow each other around all the time. The egg scattering does not help. Or the fact that they are such good micro predators. I also don't know the interim between eggs being laid, as in one ever couple of weeks or once a month, anything like that.

-Val