Drift Monkey's Planted Shrimp Bowl
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Drift Monkey
Planted Member
 
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 178
Default

Drift Monkey's Planted Shrimp Bowl


I finally got motivated enough to start another little project, so here it is. Planted this a few days ago (04/03/2012)...





Equipment:
  • 1 gal bowl
  • ~1" layer of Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil
  • ~.5"layer play sand
  • 15w 6500k CFL indoor floodlight

Plants:
  • Fanwort (Cabomba caroliniana)
  • Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
  • Hydrilla (Hydrilla verticillata)
  • Whorled Pennywort (Hydrocotyl verticillata)
  • East Indian Hygrophila (Hygrophila polysperma)
  • Asian marshweed (Limnophila sessiliflora)


All of my plants were collected from my local river thus far, and I'm using aquasafe'd tapwater.

I'm a complete planted tank n00b, but I've been reefing for years, so I have a few questions:
  • Approximately how far away should I place the lighting?
  • Any insight on any of the plants I have in there already?
  • Suggestions on easy/hardy plants to purchase and add?
  • I plan on adding cherry shrimp, when could I do that?
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Bannik
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 151
Default

Great start!

I notice you have the bowl right next to a windowsill. I've tried that myself and found that it gets big temperature swings since there is so little water. On my first bowl I accidently ended up slow bowling my cabomba caroliniana.

For your plant selection, excellent choice they all mostly feed from the water column that way you won't have to worry as much about exhausting your substrate and they'll help keep your nitrates down.

I've not used miracle grow but I've read that it'll leach ammonia when first set-up. My suggestion would be not to add cherries until ammonia in the bowl reads as 0. Then do a large water change and test it again. Since there won't be any water movement in the bowl you'll want to make sure that when you do stir it up a little more ammonia doesn't start leaching again.
Bannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 3,123
Default

Nice bowl
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
jingleberry
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 226
Default

That seems like a lot of light for such a small tank. How tall is the bowl? Is the tank going to be exposed to sunlight?
__________________
jingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Drift Monkey
Planted Member
 
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannik View Post
Great start!

I notice you have the bowl right next to a windowsill. I've tried that myself and found that it gets big temperature swings since there is so little water. On my first bowl I accidently ended up slow bowling my cabomba caroliniana.

For your plant selection, excellent choice they all mostly feed from the water column that way you won't have to worry as much about exhausting your substrate and they'll help keep your nitrates down.

I've not used miracle grow but I've read that it'll leach ammonia when first set-up. My suggestion would be not to add cherries until ammonia in the bowl reads as 0. Then do a large water change and test it again. Since there won't be any water movement in the bowl you'll want to make sure that when you do stir it up a little more ammonia doesn't start leaching again.
Well, it doesn't ever get direct sunlight...I live on the south side of my building and my roommates keep the temps at 70-75 all the time.

Thanks, I'll check my ammonia before I stick any shrimp in.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Drift Monkey
Planted Member
 
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingleberry View Post
That seems like a lot of light for such a small tank. How tall is the bowl? Is the tank going to be exposed to sunlight?
It might be...but Dr. Walstad used a similar light for her bowls...the bowl is a tad over a foot high and I have the light about to a foot over the bowl. The bowl gets some indirect sunlight, but the sun never faces my room.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Newman
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,244
Default

lighting is fine, but the plant choice is something i would adjust. i think they can grow fine here, but they might overgrow really fast. I'd go with some sort of root feeding plant such as a crypt and maybe some ground cover - dwarf hairgrass, microsword, etc. you can also always add a piece of driftwood with moss tied to it. fissidens moss is very popular.
__________________
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
Drift Monkey
Planted Member
 
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
lighting is fine, but the plant choice is something i would adjust. i think they can grow fine here, but they might overgrow really fast. I'd go with some sort of root feeding plant such as a crypt and maybe some ground cover - dwarf hairgrass, microsword, etc. you can also always add a piece of driftwood with moss tied to it. fissidens moss is very popular.
Hmmm...I think I might be able to find fissidens on the river. I'll likely head to some LFS and fine some ground cover and some crypts...or maybe find someone on here who wants to trade for stuff I have.

If I feel the current plants start getting crowded, I could always trim/yank them with ease...the beauty of the bowl...
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Disher
Planted Member
 
Disher's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 185
Default

Excellent bowl, I like how you get to collect specimens locally! Any updates?
Disher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Drift Monkey
Planted Member
 
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disher View Post
Excellent bowl, I like how you get to collect specimens locally! Any updates?
Well, I dug out a old lamp that better suits the bowl:



No real changes to the bowl....just been getting topping...everything is growing fine.

I need to try to get some shrimp in there soon!


BTW...it looks like you're in TX. If you ever need any river plants...
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Disher
Planted Member
 
Disher's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 185
Default

I didn't even realize you're from San Marcos, that's awesome. I'm living in Corpus Christi, not many river plants here! Plenty of macro algae though.
Disher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Drift Monkey
Planted Member
 
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disher View Post
I didn't even realize you're from San Marcos, that's awesome. I'm living in Corpus Christi, not many river plants here! Plenty of macro algae though.
Not from...just a student here.

I'm actually from Houston.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
Newman
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,244
Default

you dont want to uproot plants too much in a soil bowl. that's why stems may not be the best idea.
you need a selection of plants that you can just plant and leave em be for a few years as they take over.
thats one method of making a bowl.
i forgot to mention blyxa. a stem plant but it grows looking like dwarf sag, pretty useful and looks good.
__________________
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Drift Monkey
Planted Member
 
Drift Monkey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
you dont want to uproot plants too much in a soil bowl. that's why stems may not be the best idea.
you need a selection of plants that you can just plant and leave em be for a few years as they take over.
thats one method of making a bowl.
i forgot to mention blyxa. a stem plant but it grows looking like dwarf sag, pretty useful and looks good.
I figured I can trim or just remove most of the plants that get too overgrown...they're mostly free floating that I just set in place in the soil. Should I start over with different plants?
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
Newman
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,244
Default

not necessarily, you can just move the stems out over time and replace with root feeding plants, moss, etc.
__________________
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bowl, drift monkey, planted, shrimp

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012