Need Plant Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Need Plant Help

I have been following THIS awesome thread. Today I bought some plants that I thought might work in a riparium (root submerged), hanging planter or HOB settings.

Here is a list of what I got, what I'm looking for is suggestions on which, if any methods I should use for each plant.

Codiaeum croton (Croton/Superstar) - currently in a pot from lowes

Hemigraphis alternata (Purple Waffle) - currently in a pot from lowes

Chlorophytum laxum (Spider Plant/Zebra Grass) - currently in a pot from lowes I have determined this was miss-labeled and what I actually have is a small variation of Spathiphyllum (peace lily)

Tradescantia pallida (Purple Queen/Wandering Jew) - cutting

Dracaena sanderiana (white ribbon) - potted "aquatic" from Petco

Syngonium podophyllum (arrowhead) - potted "aquatic from Petco

Hygrophila Difformis (wisteria) - bunch from petco, in its immersed form but sold submerged

Trichomanes javanicum (aqua fern) - in that gel tube from petco

Thanks!

Last edited by kamikazi; 04-06-2012 at 02:42 AM..
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
mdreher
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

The purple waffle can be placed on one of the trellis rafts and the arrowhead can be placed in a planter. Purple waffle tends to wilt once a stem is cut, but it bounces back pretty quick. I'm not sure about the rest, but I'm sure you'll get some good feedback. Good luck!
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdreher View Post
The purple waffle can be placed on one of the trellis rafts and the arrowhead can be placed in a planter. Purple waffle tends to wilt once a stem is cut, but it bounces back pretty quick. I'm not sure about the rest, but I'm sure you'll get some good feedback. Good luck!
Exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
mdreher
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

No problem. Also Spathiphyllum (peace lily) is another great plant that grows well in the planter.
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Most of those aren't really aquatics and they won't grow very well in a riparium planter because the roots become too deprived of oxygen. Most of them will however grow if you just suspend the roots in open water. The wandering Jew and the purple waffle do well on riparium trellis rafts.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Most of those aren't really aquatics and they won't grow very well in a riparium planter because the roots become too deprived of oxygen. Most of them will however grow if you just suspend the roots in open water. The wandering Jew and the purple waffle do well on riparium trellis rafts.
aside from the ones that you both mentioned do well in rafts, would the others work if stuck into HOB filters as those guys have done in that thread I linked to? Or would they still suffer from depleted O2? I have found a way to support them such that only the roots or rooted parts of the stems hang into the filter.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

anybody know where to get trellis rafts with suction cups as opposed to the velcro stuff that attaches them to the planters?

In one of my tanks I'd like to do only trellis rafts, but I dont want them floating all around the tank.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
aside from the ones that you both mentioned do well in rafts, would the others work if stuck into HOB filters as those guys have done in that thread I linked to? Or would they still suffer from depleted O2? I have found a way to support them such that only the roots or rooted parts of the stems hang into the filter.
I think most of those plants would do OK in a HOB. With the filter running it should be well-oxygenated in there.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote