Planted Tank Noob Questions...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Sly13Cat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up

Planted Tank Noob Questions...

I'm totally new to planted tanks and relativity new to serious fish keeping (a few months). I have a 10 gallon with fluorescent lighting and I wanted to know some plants I can add. I like Cambomba caroliniana. There's one in the other 10 gallon and I wanted to know how to get more from one. How would I do that? I'm going to PetSmart today and wanted to know what plants are good for my tank.
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the forum. When I think of Petsmart the plants they usually have you can get Hornwort and Ancharis(can't remember if thats right spelling) them are the two plants that I remember are fast growers from Petsmart. Watch out for some of the plants that are not for are purpose which is say there for underwater but there not.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Petsmart has a pretty limited selection where I am. Petco usually has a lot more to chose from if you have the option. Otherwise you can get great deals here in the swap n shop section. Better quality and quantity usually.
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

Welcome sly.

i would suggest looking at the journals here to get an idea of what plants would suit your fancy and the conditions in your tank. If you were to keep the fluorescent lamp, maybe consider getting one rated at 6500k which produces a spectrum that benefits plants.

I started (and still am) on my budget builds and use those circular shop lamps with the clamps from homedepot. i have 2 on my 5.5 gallon and 3 on my 20 gallon. They allow me to grow pretty much everything that i have acquired through forum members or locally.

Also if you were interested, consider growing some java moss. mosses can be both beautiful and beneficial to the health of your tank. they can be prunned/trimmed to shape as you see fit.

Big box places like petco/ petland discounts/etc... are ok for basic tank equipment and basic livestock. Anything that was ever interesting in my tanks either came from forum members, or from local fish shops... I understand access to places can be limited depending on where you are, so look online and ask around. you never know what you might find.

The world is your oyster! GL
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

Your best bet in my experience is getting plants from the members on here in the power seller and swap section. I've gotten great plants on here for pretty cheap. Maybe try some stem plants, java fern or anubias perhaps. Your lighting probably limits you a bit in what you can grow but those seem to be pretty hardy plants and still give a good look. Your a bit limited in space too for anything real bushy. I'm new to this as well but that's my two cents. What are the details of your system? Filtration, substrate, fertilization etc...
kevinmichael77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
baldy1970
Algae Grower

Petsmart here in mo have quite A few plants in packages plenty good selection just make sure they done say semi-aquatic on them.
baldy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

If it is the basic light that comes with most aquarium kits it might be able to grow some plants. I would try Java Fern, Anubias, and some crypt wendetii. They usually have these in the tubes at petco and petsmart.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

do you know how many watts your light is rated for? it would help to know that to know what plants you could grow with it.
cabomba i think is generally regarded as a high-light plant, as are most stems- you might not be able to grow it with a standard aquarium light.
if your cabomba in your other ten gallon is growing, though, once it's split into multiple stems, you should be able to pull it up and split the two apart, then replant one of the pieces in your new tank. i'd search for stem replanting on here, there's probably plenty of people with handy tips...
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Plants are basically the same no matter where you buy them from. If you have the right conditions to grow plants, a tiny half inch stem will grow into a nice big plant.

Lighting is the most critical thing. One fluorescent light on a ten gallon tank, is most likely not strong enough to grow most plants no matter where you buy the plants from. The lighting fixture that comes with the tank in particular is not going to do much for you.

If you can take a close look at the bulb and get all the numbers from it, that will tell you what kind of bulb it is and what the wattage is.

Cabomba and other stem plants in general require more intensive light than plants that grow from either a crown, rhizome, or tuber. Sword plants grow from a crown, but grow too big for a ten gallon tank. Various Cryptocorynes do well under lower light levels and would fit in a ten gallon tank. Java ferns grow from a rhizome as do Anubias. These are some of the easiest plants to grow and can tolerate low light levels.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.