I dont EVER want an Eheim! The Filstar PIMP club!!!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-02-2005, 05:38 PM   #16
FISA
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)

Im glad you bought a canister filter and are happy with it...they are good
filters.

just cuz you drive a Hugo and are satisfied with it doesnt mean you bad mouth the BMW...there maybe a lot of cars that may have the same horsepower as a BMW ..but in the end..the BMW is a BMW...

Filstar are great filters but Ehiems are wikked!!!

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
FISA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #17
Not Mister Green
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

when the pimp's in the crib ma
drop it like its hot
drop it like its hot
drop it like its hot

~29G, goldfish, white clouds, bronze corys, apple snails, anachris, java ferns, 24" air curtain
~29G, barbs, peppered corys, ruby shark, apple snail, spiral cypts, italian vals, amazon sword, 24" air curtain
~20GH, bronze cory fry, dwarf sags, uruguayan sword, balansae crypt. 18" air wand

That's "sprayer green" to you!
Not Mister Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
FMZ
Planted Member

Filstar Pimp #4

I have XP2, it barely puts out any noise, and I dont want to pay a premium price for Eheim
FMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Who is Hugo??

Filstar pumps don't need pimps. They speak for themselves, sometimes loudly, but always a good value
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #20
bigpow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Filstar pumps don't need pimps. They speak for themselves, sometimes loudly, but always a good value
L O L

If that's the case then only Eheim for me...
Constant noise is one of the things that would get me aggravated
Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
bigpow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #21
FISA
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Who is Hugo??
Heheheheh...got me there....its Yugo...

and there she is...

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
FISA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 01:56 AM   #22
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMZ
Filstar Pimp #4

I have XP2, it barely puts out any noise, and I dont want to pay a premium price for Eheim
Filstar Pimp #5 reporting in!

I love my xp3. Its great value, its massive trays for filtration, and all the extra goodies that come with.

The noise it makes is due to all the power under the hood!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:10 AM   #23
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)

Meh! I was thinking about getting a Filstar, but I ended up getting the ehiem classic 2213 for $71.53 shipped new! Can't beat that :p
Jdinh04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #24
supaoopa
Planted Member

Personally, I think you can't go wrong either way. (Ehiem or Rena)

But on a side note.... GO EHIEM, GO EHIEM... its yo B-day!!!... lol.

Last edited by supaoopa; 05-10-2005 at 10:50 PM..
supaoopa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 04:09 AM   #25
fishoutawater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

FS-Pimp #6 lookin atcha!!! HOLLA
fishoutawater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #26
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Default a pair of XP1s?

i'm seriously considering a pair of XP1 filters for my 20H and 29 that currently have an HOB (20) and a HOT Mag.(29). Anyone using XP1s not happy with the size or flow rate? I expect I'll be staying about the same in the 29 and upgrading a bit on the 20 as far as flow rate is concerned, and I should be getting at least a decent upgrade in media capacity, even if it's not quite as high capacity as an XP2 or XP3. drs f&s have them on sale right now at about $56 each, which is definitely easier to justify to my wife than $80 for a pair of eheim 2213s. XP1 users, holla holla! (and make it quick so I can catch this sale!)

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #27
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

XP1 should be plenty for a 20 and 29gallon. Rena rates them up to 55gals, but I think that's being a little too liberal.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #28
khoile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hi have an XP1 and XP3 for my 75G, the XP1 flow rate is pretty good compare to the XP3 I thought. I have to slow it down to not cause so much water turbulence. I think XP1 will work for a 29G. Remember though it only has one basket, if you are not doing chemicial filtration (usually not) that I think that's fine. Else I think an XP2 is the best, if flow rate is too high, just simple slow it down, filstar include a ball valve for you to do this.

Khoi,
khoile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #29
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

excellent info folks. i don't plan on using any chem. media... strictly mech/bio. I usually use poly floss and blue pads in all my filters, so I suspect that'll be the way I'll go in the xp1s as well. how about CO2 diffusion? does anyone bubbling into the intake have trouble with airlocking? My HOT mag did great for several weeks, but it slowly started airlocking more and more often (I think it was increased O2 levels in the water forming larger pockets as my plants started photosynthesizing more with the EI method I've recently adopted). so you can adjust flow with an included ball valve and it doesn't harm the motor of the filter? if what I've read is correct and I understand it completely, that's another advantage over eheims... everything I've read says that you can only "barely" impede the flow of an eheim with a ball valve, or it will damage the filter. I'm aware that eheim "classic" filters have much lower GPH ratings than XP series rated for a particular aquarium vol. example: an xp1 is suggested for up to 45 gallons @ 250 gph, while an eheim 2213 is suggested for up to 66 gallons @ 116 gph. I don't wish to delve too deeply into the discrepencies there, but wonder if throttling the flow is safe.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #30
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Gutfeel tells me that reducing the flow on the output side is very safe for the pump. I don't think it would make much difference to the motor or impeller if the water is flowing faster or slower. Just some increased pressure after the impeller. Not sure though, maybe some pump pimp can chime in.

For planted tanks, you usually need a little more flow than what's written on the package. For my 100 gal tank, 1 XP3 was not enough (350gal/h), with a second one everything is fine. So I suggest to go a little bigger on the filter size, like others mentioned an XP2 has twice the filter capacity and is only a few bucks more than the XP1.

I was not successful in using the XP3 as a CO2 reactor, air (oxygen) was building up and leading to bubble eruptions and finally locked pumps.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.