Dual and Single stage regulator?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dual and Single stage regulator?

I have an aquatek mini which I probably replace soon. For our application, is it really worth it to shell out the extra cost for dual stage, and what is the advantage of dual over a single stage? I assume this is just a single stage?
http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-re...regulator.html
HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
Pakman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the aquatek?
Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

The link is a single stage. The only dual stage that GLA has is:
http://greenleafaquariums.com/catego...ual-stage.html

The primary advantage is the lower (virtually nonexistent for our purposes) rise in pressure when there's only gas, and no liquid, left in the cylinder. To be fair, most industrial single stage regs won't have a noticeable rise either, though many people have reported a significant rise in the ready-made rigs like Aquatek, Milwaukee, Azoo, Dici, etc.

So it's a bit of extra peace of mind, but mostly I think it's ego. That said, I would never use a single stage. I've run a Victor and Concoa dual stage with no issues, and have built a few other duals. Again, no issues.

But your best bet is to read the stickies at the top of the equipment forum for further understanding.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Most DIY their own CO2 dual stage systems.
It's a good learning experience, but you are not going to save money, but you'll have an awesome regulator. A chrome plated brass set up is the best value I'd say. 200-300$ or there abouts.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

So single stage will suffice for our needs. I probably end up getting the GLA single stage when time to replace my current one. I just like the GLA for their 3 year warranty compare to aquatek 90 days and not good CS.
Nothing wrong with my aquatek mini, in fact it's been perfect since I was advised to leave the needle valve alone. Just thinking ahead for the next regulator if or when this one goes out.
HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

Kev pretty much summed it up but I just wanted to add something here.

Do you know why the 2 stage regulators where popularized? It's because a while back and even now you can find them dirt cheap on fleabay. Tou could then take the fleabay find and build yourself a regulator that was far superior to pretty much anything else that you could buy within the hobby. Tou had thw option of using better needle valves and solenoids and ended up with a really dependable unit. The fact that folks were having trouble with hobby grade regs only further strengthened the notion that you needed one to prevent the dreaded end of tank dump. The dump people refer to is a phenomenon that happens with cheap outdated designs and can be avoided by using a quality regulator.

Some of the 2 stages you might see are pretty much the same thing as putting rims on your car. I got board doing simple builds and started using nicer and nicer stuff. I liked one upping myself as well as others. All you really need is a good industrial regulator, a reliable solenoid and good needle valve. Don't skimp out on the needle valve. That's where the money is most wisely spent.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I go for a cheaper,less labor intense method by using a cheap beer reg. But I hedge my bet by buying one that I can repair myself with a $15 set of parts. It is cheap at $50, new and single stage. But do I need more? Not that I can see. If one is not set with tools, time and experience to build or change out the CGA fitting, it seems reasonable.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I go for a cheaper,less labor intense method by using a cheap beer reg.
Man, i wouldn't call them cheap if you're buying them new. lol

any time you get into niche hobbies, aquariums, homebrew, prices freaking sky rocket.

I bought one new years ago when i got into homebrewing and kegging my sweet lovely beers. It's the only regulator that has actually 100% stopped working and broke. don't remember what I paid at the time though.