Issues with Heat
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
micro1331

PTrader: (3/100%)

Issues with Heat

I built my first fish tank in many many years last month with the help of one of my friends who is an active user on here and a huge fish enthusiast. This week I put my first set of fish in and am trying to chase down and overheating problem that I've been noticing my fish are not too happy about.

The tank I'm talking about is in my signature, but I will give you a brief overview. My main focus was Hillstream Loaches because I think they are really cool looking fish, so I build a filtration system to give them a current while not being too visible in the tank. I have an Accela SP1-600 182gph powerhead hooked up to some PVC that runs under the gravel to the other side of the tank and is hooked up to a sponge filter.

The tank is 10 gallons and has a Coralife Dual H.O. T5 light sitting up top.

The issue I am having right now is that the Hillstream Loaches don't seem very happy and I know it is due to the fact that the water is too warm for them. The temp is currently sitting at about 78-80F but I can't figure out what is making the temp so high. I do not know if it is the light or the powerhead causing the water to be so warm as there is no heater in the tank.

The light is only on for about 8-10 hours a day, and right after the light turned on this morning I checked the temp and it was near 80 still, which is making me feel like it is the power head. The tank is covered, so I'm not sure how much of the heat that is holding in, but currently my powerhead filtration system is turned off and I have an air powered filtration system in the tank to see if the temps drop with the powerhead off.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the tank cool enough for the loaches, or what may be causing the warmth? I'd like a powerhead since these Hillstream Loaches like a current in their habitat, but I'm not sure if there are some powerheads that run cooler than others, if that is even the problem.

micro1331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

the motor in the power head generates heat. and in such a small tank it would be safe to assume that it is in fact raising the temp.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
micro1331

Anyway to create a current without a power head? Or are there cooler running power heads? I know the loaches like current but I'm not really sure how much current they need.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Whiskey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree, the powerhead is generating heat, but also having the tank covered is not allowing evaporation to cool the water at all.

If it were me, I'd start by uncovering the tank and see what happens to the temp.

Whiskey
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
gerbillo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sounds like the room temperature is close to the tank temperature. I agree with scapegoat, the heat produced by motors, especially in-tank ones, may seem small until but in small tanks and warm rooms can be a bit much.

Also try removing the cover. Evaporation is an excellent cooling mechanism, which the cover is preventing. It's why we sweat, and why I keep my tank covered in my unheated apartment in the winter.
gerbillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
micro1331

Any reason to worry about the White Cloud Minnows I have in here also? Wasn't sure if they were jumpers.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

I've had those minnows before and never had an issue with jumping.

i didn't realize your tank was covered so will throw my hat in for uncovering it. you will see a nice temp drop from that alone.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Eddie_42
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Whats the air temp of the room?

I would agree to at least get a vent of some kind on the cover. Letting air and the top the water constantly exchange heat. What is your tank covered with? Solid glass to the edges is going to have an insulation effect, a wire screen or something similar will allow heat/air/light through, but not fish.
Fraternity of Dirt Member #150
Finnex Club Member #84 - 30" Planted Plus

Tank - 36 gallon Bowfront
Eddie_42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
micro1331

Just found a thermometer to throw in the room where the tank is at about a half hour ago. Current reading is 76

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.