Rcs coloring patterns
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rcs coloring patterns

Okay, so today, I noticed that one of my pregnant females were a bit too dull and kinda looked like a very pale red. I have also noticed some unusual coloring patterns in her. She used to be a brilliant red, until she got pregnant. Should I be worried about this? Any other rcs keepers who have experienced this? Does this mean that she is stressed? Will she die eventually? Also, she tends to hide in the cave a lot and won't come out unil there is no light. In fact, all the females to that. Is this a bad sign?
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

We are going to need water parameters to make a definite ruling on this. Any fish in the tank? It is not unusual in my experience for a berried female to be a little reclusive, but I don't typically see fading in their color. It could be stress. Is this her first time being berried? As far as all the females hiding, I'm assuming the males are out? If the males are active I wouldn't be to worried, but water parameters will help us decide that.

Last edited by 82nd_Airborne; 04-15-2013 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: changed makes to males, stupid auto correct
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd_Airborne View Post
We are going to need water parameters to make a definite ruling on this. Any fish in the tank? It is not unusual in my experience for a berried female to be a little reclusive, but I don't typically see fading in their color. It could be stress. Is this her first time being berried? As far as all the females hiding, I'm assuming the makes are out? If the makes are active I wouldn't be to worried, but water parameters will help us decide that.
I don't test my water, but as far as I know, I am using the fluval Ebi stratum, which is known to make the pH suitable for shrimp. That's all I really know. I have an oto and a pair of guppies in the tank but they usually ignore the shrimp and do their own stuff. I think this is her first time getting berried, maybe. Makes? I think you mean mates or males? Yes the males are most of the time out and about the tank. Also, I noticed the girls have a shy reflex when I turn on the light in the morning. They flinch and then continue with their stuff.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I've never noticed any of my shrimp being shy but I have shrimp only tanks. Freshly molted shrimp will often hide because they are very susceptible to damage until their new shells harden.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I've never noticed any of my shrimp being shy but I have shrimp only tanks. Freshly molted shrimp will often hide because they are very susceptible to damage until their new shells harden.
Yes, bit they will hide in the cave all day long, about everyday, until the light shuts off.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The females hiding is strange to me, but if the males are out, I wouldn't think it would be a water issue. That being said, my gh and kh test kits are the best investment I've made in the shrimp hobby. They aren't expensive, I would suggest getting some, that way you can know if water is for sure a non issue.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Hormones from pregnancy will play havoc with colors sometimes.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, today I noticed that she gained some of her color back. Any explanations for this?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Did she give birth?
Oceangirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
Did she give birth?
umm, i see no eggs in her, so I think she dropped the eggs because she only had them for a week or two