Newbie interested in low tech nano tank needing suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
ibrakeforpuddles

PTrader: (0/0%)

Newbie interested in low tech nano tank needing suggestions

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a couple weeks and finally joined, and was wondering if you all could help me out with some suggestions.

I currently have a betta and 2 RCS in a 2 gallon heated, filtered, bowl. I'm looking to upgrade their housing, but due to limited space am considering a nano tank. I really like the look of the finnex 4 gallon, and have read some great reviews on it from people on here.

I've never had a planted tank before, and would like to keep it as low tech as possible (I'd like to avoid co2 if possible, and little or no ferts). For plants, I'm thinking java fern, java moss, and maybe anubias. I read that they don't really need co2 and ferts if raised in low lighting. So low light sounds good. I'd be open to surface plants that cut down light.

So my biggest question is what light do I get? On ebay I've found a few different options for finnex lighting, filter, tank packages:
13watt flourescent
26watt flourescent
21 LED cliplight
60 LED cliplight

I prefer the sleekness and energy efficiency of the LEDs, but would go with the other options if they're better.

Also, for the plants mentioned, would I have to use aquasoil or something similar as substrate? I think the plants I mentioned don't really dig into the soil, but would the prescence of such nutrients still be necessary?
ibrakeforpuddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
iRun
Algae Grower

I'm running LED on my tanks and anubias, java fern, mosses, and hydrocotyle leucocephala grow great! No need for soil. I'm my Edge tank they are doing great with gravel and no ferts. In another tank I have ecocomplete and I can't see any difference in growth.
The lights I'm running on my bigger tank are the 45 cm archaea LED lights from Adana.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=667

Cheers!
iRun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
ibrakeforpuddles

Thanks! Oooo, those LEDs are slick looking!

It's cheaper if I get the bundle, and the lights I mentioned all come in bundle packages with the tank itself. The 60 LED is my favorite of them all, but I'm worried it will be too much light for low tech.

Last edited by ibrakeforpuddles; 03-31-2012 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: link
ibrakeforpuddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
iRun
Algae Grower

I suspect you'll be fine but I'm eager to hear what others think too.
iRun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
m8e
Planted Member

On one of my tanks I use haloclips with these led spots. (2w, 6000k, 20)

The 20 spread means that it is possible to mount them 30-50cm above and even a little of to the side of the tank where you don't really notice them. I have them on a bookshelf next to the tank.

I stay away from those led fixtures where you can't replace the leds because of their inflexibility.
m8e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

i use led's on my nanos only because they came equipped as such. LED's look great and keep the heat down relatively however when one or two stop working, they sort of stop looking all the great. exactly what m8e raised...

The finnex 4g was one of the tanks i considered before getting my setup. I prefer the HOB filtration and colored lamp (covers) but be aware they use proprietary bulbs so you may not find a direct fit at lowes/homedepot without some modification.

13watt flourescent might be more than what you need and some floating water lettuce or duckweed will certainly cut down the stress on your betta and rcs...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.