wood floating since 1.5yrs...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
nanomania
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

wood floating since 1.5yrs...

I have a beautiful wood peice but it just dosent sink. all my drift wood sink withing a week max but this is been in a seperate tank since 1.5yrs but never sinks. i had kept it in the bottom of the tank and had drown it down with a heavy rock. iv tried boiling too but nothing happened. any idea?
nanomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
dubvstudent
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Every piece of wood has a different density. For the most part, denser wood is going to sink more quickly. If you have been attempting to soak it that long and it has not sunk you must be using a wood with a very low density. Do you know what kind it is?

I had a similar experience with a rhododendron burl, except I gave up on it after about 3 months. You might want to think about creating a base for it or using it in a way where it is weighed down in the scape.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You could drill a hole into it and attach a piece of tile or slate then bury the tile under the substrate. Even a large enough sheet of plastic will work well.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
nanomania
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

well its extremely light outside... i dont know what type is it. i had bought from LFS. i dont wana drill any holes for now. im planning to do something different in aquascape, float it with moss growing on side. it floats more than hlaf submerged. but if you know any other ways, please let me know. i dont wana drill coz 1 of my friend had a bad experience, he did do that but after a week or two, somehow the wood came up leaving the screw and tile up and had to re do the whole setup.
nanomania is offline   Reply With Quote