my little eden - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #121
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

ps- Amanda, I know what you mean about khulis being seriously hard to find. I once tore down a tank to move and thought I must have lost one. Could not find him ANYWHERE... everything was out of the tank except a bit of gravel and a little bit of water (just in case).

He showed up fat and happy as ever when I began refilling the tank after the move, prior to adding the fish.

They can really bury themselves and move stealthy in the gravel.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #122
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ahhh they are so cute! Love them!!! Congrats!!!! Who's the other fish who wanted to be a model? Very cute little fry I'm guessing.

I had found a dead one ( a couple times) and never saw the others so I thought they all died. When I did the rescape suddenly three huge once have been showing off for me
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #123
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Oh sweet, new fish!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #124
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Ahhh they are so cute! Love them!!! Congrats!!!! Who's the other fish who wanted to be a model? Very cute little fry I'm guessing.

I had found a dead one ( a couple times) and never saw the others so I thought they all died. When I did the rescape suddenly three huge once have been showing off for me
That's the very pale otocinclus. He's just now beginning to color up and swim around a bit. Won't be long now before they're in the new home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash
Oh sweet, new fish!

and one more than I went for... the betta! Hoping I didn't make a rash judgement mistake...

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #125
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh my your little Otto is see through! Poor little guy. I hope he will feel alright being single. Best of luck with him/her.

I bet you will like your betta quite a lot. If he chases the other fish, remember he is swimming with long fins and will tire. Bettas seem to be quite smart and he will learn it is a waste of time to chase fish. At least, that's my experience when I had a very aggressive male crowntail in a community tank. After a couple weeks, maybe even less time? He settled down and co-exsisted happily.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #126
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Everyone is in their new home! Mr otto has colored up. (he was really pale!)

Here he is doing his shamu impression...

I had a very difficult time getting the khulis out. Finally decided to perch the net on the bucket and gently pour out the bag with the khulis into the net. It worked, expect one jumped out of the net and onto the floor! After much cursing and attempting to somehow pick up this very flat worm-like khuli off the floor, he jumped from my finger tip into the net. I hope he'll be ok.

Immediately after going into the tank, the khulis went off into the grass...

However, as I'm posting these pics, now "jumper" is not looking all that great. He has been darting around a bit, with a distinct red line running from head to tail that fades when he swims but comes back when he stops...

This really bites. I've never had a jumper before... and I'm pretty sure he has some kind of internal injury. Doubtful I can catch him again to move to a QT tank.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #127
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Two of my largest kuhlis have the same line. It looks scary to me even still after having them so long, but it's never turned into anything. Your kuhli should be okay...at least I hope so When mine first went in, they squiggled and darted too...but so fast I couldn't get a pic like you managed!

Your otto pic is the first that ever made me think ottos can be cute. I've never saw a cute otto until now.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #128
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Two of my largest kuhlis have the same line. It looks scary to me even still after having them so long, but it's never turned into anything. Your kuhli should be okay...at least I hope so When mine first went in, they squiggled and darted too...but so fast I couldn't get a pic like you managed!

Your otto pic is the first that ever made me think ottos can be cute. I've never saw a cute otto until now.
That's good to know. It's been a while since I've had khulis, but I don't remember them having a red line. They would dart back and forth three or four times when the lights first came on in the morning, other than that, they would calmly snake through the vegetation along the bottom.

Jumper stayed in that position for some 15 minutes before going under the big rock. Hope he does make it... though I may not know for a while if he's retreated underground. I may pick up another tomorrow just in case.

I agree, I'm not big fan of ottos looks, but I've had enough algae on the glass that it was time. This otto is pretty cute... he's doing his shamu on top of the main rock, and the betta and him are looking at each other. He may be the otto that changes our opinions!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #129
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"The wee-Otto" with a big personality!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #130
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
"The wee-Otto" with a big personality!
Great name! wee-Otto is schooling with the pygmys now.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #131
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh so cute!!!! Take a video
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #132
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh so cute!!!! Take a video
Their light is out for the night... will have to another time.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how best to install a hydor 200 heater with the on/off toggle switches on the eheim...

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #133
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds good

Can't help you with the eheim. Did you post in the equipment section?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #134
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sounds good

Can't help you with the eheim. Did you post in the equipment section?
No, not yet. Just needing to do a little research first to see if it's a simple solution. I'm not mechanically inclined in the least, so even the most obvious, 'oh that's so simple' solutions are never apparent to me until I read it.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #135
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some big changes today in the tank inhabitants. I decided it was best to rehome the cories. Although I loved their playfulness, having them with the khulis and shrimp didn't make a lot of sense. Not to mention that things were beginning to feel crowded. (maybe not to them yet as they are still all so small) As it was, I was at 103% capacity according to AqAdvisor. Although filtration is 400+%, so water parameters weren't compromised.

It was pretty bittersweet to part with them today , but they are going to a TPT member with a lovely, densely planted 105g tank where I think they will be very happy.

The good news is that in pulling out the large rock to net the cories today, I discovered that both of the khuli's survived the transition to the new tank and all of my shrimp are still alive. The bee shrimp have at least doubled in size! I took the opportunity to net and return the three non-Amano shrimps that were erroneously sold as Amanos.

Mr betta also found a new home today. He wasn't aggressive in the least with the fish, however, it was another story with the shrimp. After he tried several times to dig into their cave, I decided it was best for the shrimp and him if he found a new home.

So, my little eden inhabitants are now the original 11 rasbora maculatas, 5 danio erythromicrons, 2 growing juvie bee shrimp plus 5 Amano juvies and 2 khuli loaches. I'm still like to find a fish option for the top level of the tank, but am going to hold off for a while to let everything settle in and hopefully get the hc in fully first.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 12-01-2012 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: sp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.