my little eden - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #106
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Your tank looks very nice I hear what your saying about missing "home". I am from Montana but live in Alaska and also tried to put a bit of "home" into my tank. I used Lake Rocks I collected from a place I went swimming every summer as a kid.

I love your cat btw! Beautiful! Looks like it is part Bengal. I have 4 Bengals. Great cats.

Anyway! Great tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #107
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Thanks Amanda The lake rocks in your tank are very pretty!

Although my tank has ended up a different scape than originally intended, it does still remind me of the flatirons. It's my "third flatiron" tank

Our kitty, Sam, found shelter under our deck when he was ~4 mos. old. We believe he's a brown tabby, but perhaps there's a little bengal in him. He certainty has the spunk and agility of one.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #108
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Thanks Amanda The lake rocks in your tank are very pretty!

Although my tank has ended up a different scape than originally intended, it does still remind me of the flatirons. It's my "third flatiron" tank

Our kitty, Sam, found shelter under our deck when he was ~4 mos. old. We believe he's a brown tabby, but perhaps there's a little bengal in him. He certainty has the spunk and agility of one.
Thank you The Kuhli Loach certainly approve of them! I think so too. After I looked at your inspiration, I can't shake it. You did a good job. You say this is your third? Are the others posted here somewhere? I'd love to see pics of the others if you got 'em up somewhere! My tank is far from what I intended, but it turned out alright in the end.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #109
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Thank you The Kuhli Loach certainly approve of them! I think so too. After I looked at your inspiration, I can't shake it. You did a good job. You say this is your third? Are the others posted here somewhere? I'd love to see pics of the others if you got 'em up somewhere! My tank is far from what I intended, but it turned out alright in the end.

"ever-evolving" is the perfect title... pretty much covers the nature of the hobby.

This is still my first setup attempt in this nano. There are three flatirons, the largest in the picture, numbered from left to right...

I see my tank as the third flatiron (the one on the far right) as if I was sitting on the second looking towards it.

This is also my first high-light setup and working with hc. It's definitely been the most challenging so far! I've had many smaller tanks in the past, my first being a 10 gallon ~25 years ago.

My favorite tanks have been a 120g aquarium at my daughter's Montessori elementary school, and my own 75g planted tank, setup the Walstad method with dirt substrate capped with sand, African root driftwood, pendant lights & no ferts or co2. The 75g was the tank with the gouramis, harelquins, a betta and khulis combo. I would love to have that setup again! Hopefully sooner than later. I wish I had pictures of those tanks... they are in a box of pictures somewhere. I will need to dig them up at some point!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #110
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
"ever-evolving" is the perfect title... pretty much covers the nature of the hobby.

This is still my first setup attempt in this nano. There are three flatirons, the largest in the picture, numbered from left to right...

I see my tank as the third flatiron (the one on the far right) as if I was sitting on the second looking towards it.

This is also my first high-light setup and working with hc. It's definitely been the most challenging so far! I've had many smaller tanks in the past, my first being a 10 gallon ~25 years ago.

My favorite tanks have been a 120g aquarium at my daughter's Montessori elementary school, and my own 75g planted tank, setup the Walstad method with dirt substrate capped with sand, African root driftwood, pendant lights & no ferts or co2. The 75g was the tank with the gouramis, harelquins, a betta and khulis combo. I would love to have that setup again! Hopefully sooner than later. I wish I had pictures of those tanks... they are in a box of pictures somewhere. I will need to dig them up at some point!
Oh I see. I thought you meant you had three differet tanks witht this as insiration. Gotcha now. You should dig them up and scan the pics into the computer! Would love to see them, especially the 75g! Sounds awesome with that stocking list.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #111
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh I see. I thought you meant you had three differet tanks witht this as insiration. Gotcha now. You should dig them up and scan the pics into the computer! Would love to see them, especially the 75g! Sounds awesome with that stocking list.
Sorry, I didn't explain it the first time.

Here's the only pic I have scanned currently... it was one of my blue gouramis, Spots.

I hope I can find more pics! Though I didn't take a whole lot of pictures of the setup, which I regret now. The space was the corner of our office in an unfinished basement. We had partly finished (tile flooring and drywall) just the corner with the tank prior to moving the tank in so that we wouldn't need to move the tank again. I think I was waiting for the space to be finished before taking setup pictures. It never happened as my husband was part of a layoff and we moved before having the chance.

oh well... still hold the memories!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #112
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So pretty! Very purpley. My favorite color Memmories are always the best. Thank goondess we have them.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #113
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
So pretty! Very purpley. My favorite color Memmories are always the best. Thank goondess we have them.
He does look a bit purpley in the pic, but I think it was the pink hue from the lighting. Spots had a great personality, as did my sparkling gouramis in this tank.

So, I went and picked up a couple of khulis! decided they could help out in the dhg where the cories don't seem to want to go. Will have to keep on eye on how everyone is feeding.

They are so cute... super tiny!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #114
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

So you have cories and khulis in there now, too? I want to see pics!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #115
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 on the pics!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #116
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They're still acclimating, probably another 30 mins or so. Will post as soon as they get comfy in their new home... assuming the khulis don't go straight into hiding.

I tried to thin the grassy areas yesterday by cutting out chunks in a checkerboard-like pattern... hoping to not loose them in the forest!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #117
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
So you have cories and khulis in there now, too? I want to see pics!
Yep, going to try both! Khulis tend to like grassy areas, which I never see the cories in so I'm hoping with both, they'll cover the entire tank. I'm getting serious Blue-Green algae in the base of the grass. My suspicion is there is a lot of food debris being caught in there. I'm going to try reducing the feeding a bit and hoping the khulis take care of the rest.

I also picked up an oto. Hoping he'll do ok as a single, but with the shrimp I really only have excess algae on the glass and don't know if I should realistically keep more than one.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 11-28-2012 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: sp.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #118
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I anxiously await pictures.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #119
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should snap some pics of them floating in the bag because as soon as you put them in the tank they will zip away lightning speed and you won't see them for awhile. When I introduced my 4 teeny ones not too long ago I didn't see them for 5 days and then even still not much. Now I see the big ones all the time, but the wee ones are still hard to catch a glimpse of.

I feed my kuhlis sinking pellets every few days and the days in between they swoop out at feeding time to snack on some flakes, brine shrimp and bloodworms that slipped past the other fish.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #120
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok... here they are! Not really much choice on which you get... they are the hardest fish to catch, imho! So I was happy to see two of slightly different hues. One is a bit more pinky (they are all pale still from the shock). It will help to tell them apart.

So, I also picked up a betta... you can find his pic under the "fish" section as I wasn't sure the spots on his fins were an infection (see what a sucker I am for sick plants/fish?) Turns out, he's a carrier of the cellophane coloration gene.

The last addition is a little breeder tank that will hang on the backside of the tank with some small gravel and moss inside. Pics of that coming...

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl