my little eden - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #76
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
Awww, they are so cute. Does your tank have a top? Are you worried about them jumping out?
Lowe's has a glass cutting service and I was able to have a lid cut to size for $5 and I was able to get some extra ADA clips that hold the glass sheet in place. But, I keep it off during the day when I'm at the desk. They're not really jumping type of fish, but I've heard the shrimp can be little escape artists.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #77
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Lowe's has a glass cutting service and I was able to have a lid cut to size for $5 and I was able to get some extra ADA clips that hold the glass sheet in place. But, I keep it off during the day when I'm at the desk. They're not really jumping type of fish, but I've heard the shrimp can be little escape artists.
Good call. My goofy guppies like to try and jump into the filter and they've spent some time in there in my old 6G tank.

I really like your fish choice. They are perfect for your tank.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #78
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, the rasboras are becoming one of my favorite fish. They are so playful

Ditto with the Pygmy cories. They'll come over to the corner of the tank when I'm sitting at my desk to say 'hi'. Or 'feed us'...

I think I may have hung my light too close as the ground cover is starting to yellow/turn brown. I also added some clover as a cover for the danios, who are still painfully shy, but the clover has started turning light green/yellow within a day. I raised the light a couple of inches. Hope it helps!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #79
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

small update... the rasboras and corys are doing great; the danios are painfully shy. And the shrimp seem to not appreciate the bright light. I added 3 amanos which are not as shy of the light.

Having a bit more of diatom algae now and am trying to combat it every few days with an air hose vacuum. The grass is coming back from it's trimming, but the hc is still looking very yellow with some brown patches. It almost seems like they were getting too much light, so I moved the light up 2" to see if it would help.

A few pictures (sorry for the camera phone pics... hope to have better pictures up soon )

Absolutely loving the little spotted rasboras. They are so playful and have begun coming to the corner closest to me when I'm at my desk. They know who feeds them.

Any tips on what else I should try to help my hc? It does appear to be rooting well.

current parameters: GH 30; KH 40; pH 6.3; NO2 0; NO3 20; ammonia 0

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #80
callisto9
Planted Member

Looks good! What's the tall plant on the left - the leggy one... looks like clover.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #81
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
Looks good! What's the tall plant on the left - the leggy one... looks like clover.
Thanks... but, and it's hard to tell from the pics, the groundcover looks horrible. I hung the aquasky at the same height it would be above a 45P with it's stand, and now it's a couple inches higher. I hope the hc recovers and fills in nicely.

At least the fish and shrimps are doing well

Yes, it is clover. Thought I'd give them a try as an open cover for the danios. Hoping they'll mix in with the dwarf hair grass patches.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #82
callisto9
Planted Member

Yeah, up close, my tank has some crummy stuff, too. I still think yours is nice!

Thanks for the ID on the plant. I like it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #83
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The clover is a cute plant.

Looking forward to when/if my HC recovers. I hope moving the light up fixes the reason the HC yellowed and even browned in areas. Dosing ferts and using high light method is new to me. Always the uncertainty if you're doing things right when it's not thriving yet.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 11-08-2012 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: .
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #84
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Wish I could find some rocks like that!
Some floaters could really help with the light and your fish's timid ness.

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #85
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Wish I could find some rocks like that!
Some floaters could really help with the light and your fish's timid ness.
That's an interesting idea... what kind of floaters would you recommend?

Would it affect the growth of my hc or dhg?

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #86
bibbster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice!

I have purchased a 9 gal BiUbe for my daughter for Christmas, and though we probably wont be doing live plants, it is great inspiration to see these little setups.

I love the Okho stone...I wish I had a couple 5 gal bucket fulls for my 75 gal Malawi cichlid aquarium. Sadly there is not really a good selection of stone/rock around here. I'd like to get some TX holey rock but nobody will let me in on the secret as to where it's found in TX...a far cry from here in West TN of course.
bibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #87
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbster View Post
Very nice!

I have purchased a 9 gal BiUbe for my daughter for Christmas, and though we probably wont be doing live plants, it is great inspiration to see these little setups.

I love the Okho stone...I wish I had a couple 5 gal bucket fulls for my 75 gal Malawi cichlid aquarium. Sadly there is not really a good selection of stone/rock around here. I'd like to get some TX holey rock but nobody will let me in on the secret as to where it's found in TX...a far cry from here in West TN of course.
Thanks My lfs has quite a bit of this stone in right now, but shipping it to you would be quite expensive! I think Aquarium Design Group has some from time to time too.

What a nice christmas present! Some anubias and other low lights are super easy to keep and really help out with the filtration.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #88
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the rocks

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #89
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I would reccomend a plant with longer roots, like amazon frog bit or water lettuce. I have watersprite, and though it grows fast and my fish love it, it propagates from adult leaves, so the babies tear the leaves off the adult plant and the leaves rot. It's kind of unsightly. I also have regular frogbit, the smaller kind, and it is very annoying..it gets everywhere, and it's hard to do matnience without being covered!
Really any floating anything. If you have plastic plants, you could just float them to see if it helps them, before you buy.
I have these neat grid like plastic plants that are supposed to be for ground cover, but I used to let them float, to help the fish feel more comfortable.

Also as for the growth of your plants, I'm not exactly sure, I've never kept those plants, though to keep my floaters away from areas where I need more light, or to stop them from getting tossed around in the filter flow, I use plant corrals. I've heard of people using air tubing, though I used some random plastic sheet sled, and taped strips of it in different sized circles, and suction cupped them in place. Works like a charm.

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122

Last edited by LyzzaRyzz; 11-12-2012 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Plant corrals!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #90
bibbster
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Thanks My lfs has quite a bit of this stone in right now, but shipping it to you would be quite expensive! I think Aquarium Design Group has some from time to time too.

What a nice christmas present! Some anubias and other low lights are super easy to keep and really help out with the filtration.
Yeah, costly to ship for sure!

Thanks for the heads up on the Anubias, we may look into that, though if I get one live plant it will most certainly trickle over into the cichlid tank.
bibbster is offline   Reply With Quote