Pickle Jar Tank Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pickle Jar Tank Build

I've been wanting to make a planted bowl, but I never had the chance. I bought a betta today. Didn't have anywhere to put him LOL So, I found an old jar that looks like it was a pickle jar at some point. I am going to do dirt with a sand cap. I am planning on a planted jungle look. I'll be running a 13 watt CFL. Not sure on the size of the jar, but I'll let you know. Gotta go set it up, I'll be back to update.
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

That's a lot of light for a small jar, indirect lighting?

Also, expect a lot of dusting, as I've got sand in the bottom of a couple of 1.5 gallon jars, and any time I change any water it's all a mess, no matter how careful I am, short of using a ladle and going very slowly.

Best of luck. Let me know how this works out for you.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Went out in the rain and got some dirt. About 1 1/2 inches. Capped it with sand. No cloudiness!! Planted it with some anarcaris and val plantlets. The I am trying to get the heater to heat the water up to 80-82 before I start acclimating him over.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
That's a lot of light for a small jar, indirect lighting?

Also, expect a lot of dusting, as I've got sand in the bottom of a couple of 1.5 gallon jars, and any time I change any water it's all a mess, no matter how careful I am, short of using a ladle and going very slowly.

Best of luck. Let me know how this works out for you.
It's kinda indirect.. I'll probably end up having a short photo period on this until I find lower watt CFL's.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

The jar holds about a gallon. Don't rant about the 5 gallon rule for bettas please. I am making sure he is healthy before I invest in a larger jar.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Seems like the little guy has SBD. Got some rotala green, going to put some in there.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Are you sure its not from ammonia and a new tank trying to cycle?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Yes, he was like that in the bag on the way home. I fed him a bit of pea and I will fast him for a couple days, then I'll see where he is at
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Pictures!! That was when I first planted it so the plants have perked up a bit.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks nice, but I'd really recommend moving the light further away, because I have 1-13 watt CFL with out a reflector lighting 5-1.5 gallon jars, and they have a decent amount of Algae, mostly thin film stuff, on the bottom, and nearest the light a bit of GSA.

Best of luck with Algae/plant fighting.

I'm not going to harass you over the 5 gallon thing, I will say definitely stay on top of you PWC's almost every day, make sure the water is close in temperature, and PH so the little guy doesn't go into shock, and even though it's only a jar, make sure that you clean the bottom of it very well, other wise the little guy won't last long at all.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
Jay Wee
Algae Grower

This pickle jar concept is kinda amazing.
Jay Wee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

This is, well, interesting...
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Looks nice, but I'd really recommend moving the light further away, because I have 1-13 watt CFL with out a reflector lighting 5-1.5 gallon jars, and they have a decent amount of Algae, mostly thin film stuff, on the bottom, and nearest the light a bit of GSA.

Best of luck with Algae/plant fighting.

I'm not going to harass you over the 5 gallon thing, I will say definitely stay on top of you PWC's almost every day, make sure the water is close in temperature, and PH so the little guy doesn't go into shock, and even though it's only a jar, make sure that you clean the bottom of it very well, other wise the little guy won't last long at all.
Thank you! He will be moved to a larger tank after he can swim right. Otherwise he has trouble getting around and finding food.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wee View Post
This pickle jar concept is kinda amazing.
It's pretty easy, but I personally wouldn't keep a fish in it again, maybe and endler or two at the most, but I think shrimp would be the best for a 'tank' this small
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

With the little containers such as this, Though you can put fish in them, it's usually better to not do so, since on average, they are only about 6" in diameter, that's not a lot of swim space honestly.

Shrimp maybe, I've yet to put any in one, but have seen some nicer ones, that have made me contemplate doing it. Snails and plants are all I'm willing to do until I can set a true schedule for water changes, like 50-60% a day. and that's with Heavy plant levels, like 20 times plant mass to fish mass.

Going to try another Jar project tonight, thinking snails and DW wrapped with Java moss.

Hope your little guy is happy and healthy.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.