Suggestions for horror-themed tank? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #31
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootPixie View Post
Huh. I've seen a lot of people have no problems keeping shrimp and tetras with bettas. I guess maybe it depends on the fish? And I thought maybe that would be overstocking. I really would like variety though, so what do you suggest would be a good tank-mate for the tetras?
The tetras may nip at the betta's fins, particularly blind cave tetras, which tend to bite whatever they bump into.

Shrimp and bettas are tricky. Some people do keep shrimp in with bettas, and ghost shrimp are bigger than most. One the other hand, my officemate adds ghost shrimp to her betta sorority as feeders, and they tend to last about 5 minutes...

If you want to keep blind cave tetras (which are very cool fish!), I would probably recommend something relatively tough and not prone to fin nippage. How about albino cories? They would go well with your "theme", and they have spiny fins to discouraging "nibbling" from the tetras. You could also add another fast schooling fish (bloodfin tetras would work) but I think you generally get the nicest effect from one schooling fish species rather than multiple.

Try 8 blind cave tetras and 6 albino cories. This should give you a nice display if you pair it with some cave-like rocks, a black background, and a few small spotlights.

Here's some inspiration for you:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/show86.html
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #32
Atprice
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
The tetras may nip at the betta's fins, particularly blind cave tetras, which tend to bite whatever they bump into.

Shrimp and bettas are tricky. Some people do keep shrimp in with bettas, and ghost shrimp are bigger than most. One the other hand, my officemate adds ghost shrimp to her betta sorority as feeders, and they tend to last about 5 minutes...

If you want to keep blind cave tetras (which are very cool fish!), I would probably recommend something relatively tough and not prone to fin nippage. How about albino cories? They would go well with your "theme", and they have spiny fins to discouraging "nibbling" from the tetras. You could also add another fast schooling fish (bloodfin tetras would work) but I think you generally get the nicest effect from one schooling fish species rather than multiple.

Try 8 blind cave tetras and 6 albino cories. This should give you a nice display if you pair it with some cave-like rocks, a black background, and a few small spotlights.

Here's some inspiration for you:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/show86.html
+1 to this
Atprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #33
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Don't Forget

How about strobe lights?

And big speakers with jaws theme music alongside a tank stuffed with glowfish piranhnas (coming soon?) and RC operated mini-jaws fish

I still like the skull with air pump operated rotating glass eyeballs and tongue.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, horror, scary, theme